Start a Conversation

Unsolved

236 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 11:00

Physical connections and configuration of LACP on Unity 600 for file services

Hi All,

Need a sanity check here please:

When I am configuring file connectivity on Unity, Link Aggregation can only be configured on the ports that are on the same SP, for example SPA4 and SPA5. I cannot configure link aggregation using SPA4 and SPB4, can I?

With that said, If I am configuring link aggregation using SPA4 and SPA5, they have to be connected to the switchports that are configured for LACP on the switch side.

Therefore I cannot connect SPA4 and SPB4 to the switchports that are configured for LACP on the switch side, it will not work, will it?

In other words, I cannot use ports SPA4 and SPB4 (or any combination of SPA and SPB ports) to configure LACP on them, can I? Or, if I connect Unity ports SPA4 and SPB4 to an LACP

Appreciate your input.

8.6K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 13:00

I dont follow what sense that would make

each SP has its own networking

If you configure LACP for ports on SPA the system will automatically configure LACP for the same ports on SPB

Otherwise after a SP failover the interfaces using the lacp wouldnt work

Of course the ports on the switches need to be configured accordingly

I would suggest to actually configure it on a Unity system and it should become clear that when creating an LACP you dont even get to select which SP

May 16th, 2018 09:00

Here is the answer - the command uemcli /net/la show displays aggregated ports on SPA and SPB:

Both members of SPA link aggregation have to be connected to their own LACP port group on the switch side. Both members of SPB link aggregation have to be connected to their own separate LACP port group on the switch side.

1 Message

September 30th, 2019 11:00

Can you share the LACP Configuration you have done on the switch end. 

Also if the switch ports are on 100M and unity ports are 10G, can we create LACP for this config?

I have two links from different ISPs for the replication. How can i load balance between those two links? Can i add two uplinks to a LAG to transfer replication data to the destination switch?

41 Posts

October 1st, 2019 13:00

For FILE STORAGE, the unity uses only one SP for connectivity, by other hand, iscsi traffic uses both SPs for I/O in an active/active fashion for I/O load balance, since multi-path/failover is done at host level, not in the storage side, iscsi interfaces does not support LACP.

In case of FILE STORAGE (NAS Server) you can only configure ports for the same SP since the I/O works in active/passive between SPs in this case, so, when creating a LACP for FILE STORAGE, you should use only ports for the same SP, and connect each port on a different switch (if stacked switches are in place), or connect both ports of the same SP in the same switch, in case you are using standalone switches (no stack) for FILE STORAGE. (For standalone switches, a FSN setup is mandatory in order to survive from a switch port failure, since the SPs does not failover if a port down occurs).

The Unity failover the configuration for FILE STORAGE in the standby SP in case of a SP failure, that's why you need to MIRROR the cabling between SPs to correct configure a failover scenario for FILE STORAGE.

• 

6.9K Posts

May 17th, 2021 15:00

Hello Dinesh-sengar,

FSN does provide redundancy.  Here are 2 links to some white papers. The first link is to DELL EMC UNITY HIGH AVAILABILITY, and the second link is to Dell EMC Unity Family Configuring High Availability.

https://dell.to/3onFVo0

https://dell.to/3tT8WsP

May 17th, 2021 15:00

Hi All,

Does FSN also provides redundancy in case Port on a I/O module of Unity fails. It’s kind of confusing as mostly it’s written it only provides redundancy when network switch fails.

No Events found!