Highlighted
victory_is_mine
3 Argentium

Unity 400 hybrid array storage pool

Hi All,

Can you please comment on these:

1). If I configure a storage pool that consists of 5 x 200GB SSD in the Extreme Performance Tier and 5 1.8TB SAS drives in the Performance tier, and do not have any drives in the capacity tier, I am still following best practices, aren't I?

2).As far as I remember it is not recommended to mix only Extreme performance drives (SSDs) and capacity drives (NLSAS) in the same pool, without SAS drives, isn't it?

3). NLSAS drives can be added later to the pool, if they are needed based on performance.

Does it all make sense?

Appreciate your input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Unity 400 hybrid array storage pool

Hi,

These two white papers should contain your answers:

DELL EMC Unity Best Practices:

https://support.emc.com/docu69891_Dell-EMC-Unity:-Best-Practices-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

DELL EMC Unity Configuring Pools:

https://support.emc.com/docu69895_Dell_EMC_Unity_Family_Configuring_Pools.pdf?language=en_US

Thanks

Andre @ Dell EMC

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos
victory_is_mine
3 Argentium

Thanks, already read them, not helpful, too little info. VNX best practices docs were much better, as they would go into details such as what the recommended drive counts are for certain RAID types, etc. The ones you shared are too high level.

Unfortunately, the question is still unanswered

0 Kudos

Fair enough..

So most of these guidelines would still hold true even though these are different products.

So to be very specific :

1) I don't see a problem with this, nor do I see this violating best practices.

2) Correct, not a great idea.

3) Yes, they can be added at any stage. But not based on performance, I don't think, as NL-SAS drives normally don't help with performance. These are normally used for more static data with low perf requirements.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

Andre @ Dell EMC

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

well - best practices have to cover a lot of use cases

actual config is always a judgement call and depends on the workload and the performance expectations

0 Kudos