Not applicable

Unity 450F vmware block datastore provisioning

Hi,

is it possible to create new vmware block datastore in vmfs 6 ?

I have a new Unity450F with last firmware connected with Vcenter and 5 esxi 6.5u1 host.

When I create a new block datastore in Unisphere under Storage-Vmware it is provisioned for my host as vmfs 5.

So I need to delete from host and recreate as vmfs 6,

Thanks a lot

Pietro

0 Kudos
6 Replies
2 Bronze

Re: Unity 450F vmware block datastore provisioning

I had the same issue. Support sent me this KB which basically states VMFS6 is not yet supported but provides a workaround. Be mindful of using VMFS6 though. For us we saw lots of SCSI sense codes on the ESXi host when using VMFS6 so we switch back to VMFS5.

https://emcservice.force.com/CustomersPartners/kA2f1000000G7DACA0

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Would you mind sharing in more detail what you experienced with VMFS6?  You mentioned seeing lots of SCSI sense codes and switched back to VMFS5.

We recently had a system panic shortly after allocating Unity LUNs to an ESXi cluster on VMFS6 and I wonder if it might be directly related to the Unity not yet support VMFS6 datastores.

0 Kudos
6 Indium

The KB does NOT mean that using VMFS6 is not support with Unity - it is

I just means that if you create your LUNs through the VMware datastore option on Unity we will create it with vmfs5

You are welcome to just create LUNs and manually assign them to your ESX servers - then you can use vmfs6

0 Kudos

Correct, it can be done, just not automatically.

Once the LUN/Datastore is presented to ESXi 6.5 it can be formatted with VMFS 6

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos
2 Bronze

These are the ESXi vmkernal log scsi sense codes we saw when performing storage v-motions to a destination datastore lun that was VMFS6...

"naa.6006016030f04500521b715ad6def1c7" failed H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x5 Invalid sense data: 0x80 0x41 0x0."

When using VMFS5 instead, we did not see these scsi sense codes present. Unity code was 4.2.1.9535982, and VMware is 6.5 update1. Compression enabled on Unity lun for all tests.

0 Kudos

Hi folks.

Have a look at this KB: https://support.emc.com/kb/516823

The new Dell EMC Unity OE is just around the corner though.

Andre @ Dell EMC

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos