Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2018 14:00

Unity async replication for block

Hello Everyone,

I have two Unity AFAs used for block storage only and need to configure async replication between them. I have no issues to configure the replication sessions, quite straightforward, and already have them running.

The question is, is there a way to control what time of day those sessions should synchronize? I have 20 block LUNs to be replicated, and would like to avoid the sync jobs to run at the same time for all 20 of them.

Does anyone know if there is a way to achieve something like this: span the sync sessions across 10 hours for example, so that only two per hour synchronize starting at 4pm?

All I have is the native unity tools - built-in replication.

Appreciate your input.

8.6K Posts

December 12th, 2018 04:00

I have not heard of issues there from other customers

If you are worried that the link could become too saturated by replication so that other traffic starves I would suggest to talk to your network guys and implement some QoS or bandwith limiting.

replication traffic should be easily recognizable by a switch/router based on the src/dst IP we use

Thats what other customers do

8.6K Posts

December 7th, 2018 17:00

not directly - they will happen according to their RPO

or you could set them to manual refresh and then use an external scheduler via UEMCLI or REST API

see the documentation for more details

Is this just theoretical or do you have an actual problem with too many running at the same time ?

December 11th, 2018 15:00

Did not run into an actual problem yet, still planning and exploring the available options, but the directive is not to run them all at the same time due to the possibility of saturating the IP link between two sites.

April 11th, 2019 08:00

I am not too good with scripting. I am planning to use a windows or a linux server as a scheduler. Do you happen to have any sample scripts you can share that invoke UEMCLI commands from a windows or a linux box? Or can you point me to any documentation, if there is any, that will have instructions how to do this?

8.6K Posts

April 16th, 2019 06:00

I the reason for this scheduling is because of bandwidth between the systems you could have your account team ask via RPQ for throttling of async replication based on a time schedule.

No Events found!