Brian_Fleming
1 Copper

UnityVSA VNX File import

All,

I am trying to setup a lab where we can practice the migration of file services from a VNX system to a UnityVSA appliance.  To accomplish this, we are attempting to use the UnityVSA "Import" feature. 

I have gone through the setup guides, but it seems that no matter what I do, I get the following generic error message from Unity while creating a "Connection" to the VNX.

"Failed: An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote VNX system. The credentials used might be incorrect or there may be a network issue while connecting to the remote VNX system. (Error Code:0x650018e)"

I have verified the following:

1.  The username and pasword is correct.

2.  The systems can ping eachother.

3.  I have tried against a VNX simulator as well as a physical VNX5500.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get more details about the issue? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
16 Replies
Rainer_EMC
5 Rhenium

Re: UnityVSA VNX File import

check if you have multiple sysadminxx accounts in the /etc/passwd of the VNX - esp. ones with a non-existant homedir

0 Kudos
Brian_Fleming
1 Copper

Thanks for the suggestion.   There is only one sysadmin account, and it has a homedir.

sysadmin:x:500:201::/home/sysadmin:/bin/bash

0 Kudos
Brian_Fleming
1 Copper

Could someone confirm if it is possible to demonstrate the Unity import process using a UnityVSA as a destination, and a VNX simulator as the source?

0 Kudos
norm_torvik
1 Copper

I am having the exact same issue.  Can somebody from EMC or the community confirm whether or not VNX simulator "Data Mover" Import into Unity VSA works or is supported?

0 Kudos

Hi Norm

were you able to get this to work or find a solution to get the import feature working from VNX to Unity ?

0 Kudos
norm_torvik
1 Copper

No, it still does not work for us.   We have followed the instructions to the letter (i.e. creating the interface on the VNX with proper name, etc).   I have even attempted to get the Unity VSA to try and recognize our physical VNX 5400 with no success either.

0 Kudos
oyo44
1 Copper

We are having the same problem.  Everything appears to be inline with documentation.  Has anyone see a resolution to this?

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Rhenium

I would suggest to open a service request

without log file analysis this is going to be difficult to say

You could check the release notes of the just available OE 4.2 for fixes and try that

0 Kudos
monto1
1 Copper

Probably you would be able to use UnityVSA to import from a physical VNX but not from the simulator.

The error comes up when it's specified the VNX control station, but you should specify the VNX SP ip. So in the VNX simulator it won't be possible to import anything in a unity because the SP are not present in the VNX simulator.

0 Kudos