Highlighted
JulianMilano
2 Bronze

What are the ports on the UNITY 450F?

I'm looking at the back of the UNITY 450F (Dell EMC Unity Hardware Architecture) - Section "Disk Processor Enclosure (DPE)" - and I can see that there are 2 fibre ports per SP (3) which I will connect one to each fibre switch, there are IO Module Slots (6) and I would like to know what can I do with these slots? Are they like extra connections I can make between the SPs and the fibre switches to increase the data bandwidth?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: What are the ports on the UNITY 450F?

Hi JDMils68,

It's a very vague question. The config is different for every system. What ports you have available are mostly the choice of the customer.

What you can do with the slots depends if they are fibre or IP. If fibre, you can use them for block connectivity (hosts), RP, Sync rep (first FC port only in the system), etc..

For IP ports, you can use them for NAS traffic, iSCSI interfaces, async replication, and much more.

I would suggest that you go through the documentation and speak with your storage architect for determining the best way to use them.

Andre @ Dell EMC

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

basically there are two types of I/O modules

for backend connectivity there is a SAS module to attach additional disk shelves

for frontend connectivity there are various Fibre Channel and Ethernet cards

Just download the Unity Hardware Information Guide from support.emc.com - its has all the options

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

Actually the link you are quoting does list the available I/O modules

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Tungsten

The two expansion slots (6) are described just below the picture

Each SP can have two IO modules installed to expand front end host connection. IO module installed on SPA should match what is installed on SPB respective slot. There cannot be a miss match. Following are the IO modules that Unity supports,

• 4 port 16GB Fiber Channel - this IO Module will allow you to connect to the fiber channel switch ports
  • 10GbE Base-T
  • 1GbE Base-T
  • 2 port 10GbE Optical (SFP+ and Twinax)
  • 4 port 10GbE Optical (SFP+ and Twinax)
  • 12Gb SAS for backend expansion (Only for Unity 500 and 600)

glen

Does this answer your question? If so, please mark the question "Answered"

0 Kudos