Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2020 02:00

Windows File server migration to Unity NAS Server

Hi,

we had mad a NAS server in EMC  Unity 380F & planing to migrate our Windows File server  to NAS server, i tried coping a test folder using Robocopy its copied but without sharing permission,

is there any tool that we can use for file server migration. please advice.

Also can we publish NAS server directly from EMC unity, because once the server will migrate there will be difference name & need a server for DFS

Thanks in advance

1 Message

April 12th, 2022 07:00

We just had to migrate over the weekend and we ran into the same issue with Robocopy and permissions on Unity. Somehow it did not flag us during testing. We tried EMCcopy too but for some reason it did not work. Someone recommended GS Richcopy 360 saying it worked with copying permissions to unity. We tested it and it worked just fine. This is how what we used for the rest of the migration (still ongoing).  It is also GUI based so easier to use.

It was panic hours for us and I saw this thread so just wanted to make a point to update it.  I am not sure why robocopy would not copy permissions.

July 1st, 2020 02:00

Hi pankaj ,

You can try emcopy much reliable and also it will migrate the data with permission.

Regards

5 Posts

July 1st, 2020 03:00

Dear Dinesh1989

I tried test folder with EMcopy 

it copied but the sharing is not enable & when i am trying to see in fs01 ( NAS) server i can see only older folder share.. the share folder ( Copied from windows File server ) & not shared & all the permission are also gone..

Windows file serverWindows file server
Old ( windows file server)

(NAS Server (Unity)) FS01 ( Unity NAS Server)FS01 ( Unity NAS Server)

• 

6.9K Posts

July 1st, 2020 15:00

Hello Pankajv,

Here is the link to DELL EMC UNITY: MIGRATION TECHNOLOGIES which list out all the was to migrate data to your Unity 380F.

https://dell.to/3eRMjOZ

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Posts

July 4th, 2020 00:00

Hi 

I tried with Emcopy but still the same issue. 

When i see folder permission its now shared and permission also removed at destinations.

Pls advice

No Events found!