Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2017 03:00

adjust fan speeds

Hi,

I recently added 2 unity 300 to our server room. Unfortunately, the fans of the 12x NL-SAS active SP on the right side often spin up, which is very loud. People in normal offices near to server room complain about that.

Therefore I´d like to adjust the normal standard fan speed, so that they run at higher rpms to avoid these loud and short spin-ups every 5 minutes.

I`ve studied the cli reference for the unity 300, but I cannot find more then showing fan stats.

Is there a way to adjust the fan rpms?

thx.

h4nnes

4.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 14:00

No - fan speed is under the control of the temp sensors and no method exists to change the speed.

glen

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2017 12:00

I would suggest to check the temp and airflow in your rack

maybe move the Unity to a location where it has better cooling

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 00:00

@ glen: of course, they Need to be controlled by the sensor in order to prevent overheating. But comparing to a good graphics card, it would reduce noise if you let the fan run constantely with e.g. 40% instead of 20% with often spin-ups to 90%. In silence-pc context this would by called 'Hysteresis Effect'.

@ Rainer_EMC: we managed to give more 'muscles' to our air conditioning system, which solved the noise problem of the unity. But now, we consume a lot more electricity then necessary. I think the fans would use less.

8.6K Posts

November 27th, 2017 05:00

you could open a product enhancement request if you want

But I am sure that our hardware engineers have good reasons to control the fan speed like it currently works

for storage and servers the priorities can be a bit different than for gaming PCs

1 Message

May 14th, 2019 07:00

Hello, Did you find the sollution?

I have the same problem with my Unity 300.

8.6K Posts

May 24th, 2019 07:00

same answer as before

No Events found!