Highlighted
3 Silver

Allocation queries

Jump to solution

A noob question , need your help please .

In our environment requests are  like , "Add 1 TB to F drive" | "Expand D drive by  2 TB " .

From the Clariion or Vmax that we manage I can only see Luns , how can I identify

what lun is mapped where

which one to expand

Is there anyway I can check which is the target Lun I should be expanding as (D/E/F drive ) dosen't make any sense to me cos i dont know .

Peace !

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: Allocation queries

Jump to solution

you can also get that information on the host side if they are using Powerpath (powermt display dev=all)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have access to the host in question, you can download and execute the inq utility to resolve the relationships between host devices and VMAX or Clariion/CX/VNX devices. You can get inq at ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/symm3000/inquiry/v7.6.2.0. There are a bunch of different CLI arguments -- just run it with a -h to see the list of options.

Thanks,

- Sean

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

the admins are repulsive when it comes to installing any s/w on their systems , they go crazy .

I can probably suggest the inq utility  when there is a new server build in our environment thats san connected  , better done during the initial set up  .

Thanks for the info Sean .

Cheers !!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

you can also get that information on the host side if they are using Powerpath (powermt display dev=all)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

A good strategy moving forward might be to use the "Volume Identifier" field on your VMAX TDEVs to name them appropriately and rename the LUN itself on CLARiiON.  For instance, you could use "Server1_C" and "WebServer2_F" as useful names.  It might be time-consuming at first, but it could save you time down the road.

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

hey Karl , how do I set the Volume Identifier field 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

I second the use of inq on the host, makes local device discovery quick and easy. I have found that the sysadmins/dbas like it as well and are willing to run it and send me the output once I show them how to use it.

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

apparently my admins aint user friendly lol . I will defnitely try the inq utility .

cheers aran

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

one nice thing about inq is you don't have to install anything, just drop the executable in a directory and call it from the cli.

the volume identfier or 'device name' can be set as follows with the cli (or in Unisphere):

set dev <symvol id> devcie_name=<volume name>;

my personal experience with device names on a symm is that they aren't viewable in the output you may want to see them, so i don't bother with them anymore. dynamox may have some good examples about how he uses them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

sorry, correct syntax is:

set dev <symvol id> device_name='<volume name>';

forgot the single quote for the device name.

0 Kudos