Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2013 03:00

Can anyone let me know the command to check the Sparing method in VMAX 20k? whether it is

Can anyone let me know the command to check the Sparing method in VMAX 20k? whether it is
Sparing with Regular Spare or Sparing Non Preferred? I noticed that if any disk fails
spare disk kicks in and rebuild the RAID, once the Failed drive replaced back
spare drive returing back to its old position.

SE Version: V7.6.1.0
Enginuity Build Version : 5876.229.145

226 Posts

December 16th, 2013 04:00

Vibin,

The version of Enginuity you're running uses Direct Member Sparing (DMS). What you are describing is the expected & desired behavior.

With DMS we copy data directly from a failing drive to a spare (if possible), avoiding parity-based rebuilds. And we move the data back to the original drive's position once it has been replaced. This ensures that spares moving to different locations within the system does not affect spare coverage.

Thanks,

- Sean

Sent from my iPhone

859 Posts

December 16th, 2013 05:00

on windows mgmt host, you can run this:

by default its permanent unless u have a reason to change it.

C:\Users\srohilla.ICI>symcfg list -v | find "Swap"

Hot Swap Policy for Hard Drives      : Permanent

Hot Swap Policy for Flash Drives     : Permanent

regards,

Saurabh

62 Posts

December 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi All,

I agree with Sean's comment. But If I run the command "symcfg -sid list -v | grep -i Swap" I can see its Permanent Sparing. If it is Direct Sparing (DMS) how come its showing as Permanent Sparing. Just conused here.

Thanks,

Vibin

419 Posts

December 17th, 2013 05:00

hot_swap_policy — Indicates whether data from a failed disk should be relocated temporarily, or permanently moved to a spare disk. Possible values are TEMPORARY or PERMANENT.

Note: Enginuity 5874 and higher does not support hot_swap_policy.  As Sean has already stated. You can infer from this that Permanent and Dierct Sparing are the same thing.

62 Posts

December 17th, 2013 07:00

Sorry for the confusion.

What I understand from Permanent is if any disk fails spare will kicks off and permanently rebuild the Raid and the faulty disk replaces that will mark as a spare. I cant underatand how Permanent and DMS is same here.

419 Posts

December 18th, 2013 00:00

62 Posts

December 18th, 2013 01:00

Now I understood Permanent Sparing and Direct Sparing,and in my VMAX DMS is using.I only concerned about "Hot Swap Policy" here. Can you provide any document or explain it (Permanent and Temporary)?

419 Posts

December 18th, 2013 03:00

Vibin,

the link is there, Everything you need is in the Doc.

62 Posts

December 18th, 2013 04:00

Sorry Paul...you forget to attach the link here.

226 Posts

December 18th, 2013 05:00

The screenshot was linked to the whitepaper in Paul's post -- http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6541-drive-sparing-symmetrix-vmax-wp.pdf

The hot swap policy is a legacy setting that does not apply to VMAX. It applied to DMX-3/4, which could be configured to use either permanent or dynamic sparing. The sparing policy for VMAX running 5876 is not configurable -- it only uses Direct Member Sparing. You can ignore the hot swap policy setting for VMAX.

No Events found!