Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2015 06:00

Deleting a VMAX3 LUN.

I am challenged with Deleting a VMAX3 lun VIA Unisphere GUI.    There is no UNBIND from Pool option and i cant delete thin luns with alocated tracks.   The luns also not allocated to a Front End port. 

Any Thoughts..

51 Posts

June 19th, 2015 07:00

Thanks Keith

522 Posts

You will need to free any allocated tracks on the ydev before you can delete it. There is a symcli command for symdev free -all or in unishpere on the designated volume there should be a reclaim action as part of the options. Once all tracks are freed then you will be able to delete it.

VMAX3 has this new requirement sunce there is no more binding to pools with SRPs in place on the new array.

121 Posts

On VMAX3 you must run a "free all" to de-allocate all extents:

1. Select the storage system.

2. Select Storage > Volumes.

3. Locate the volumes using the volumes filter.

4. Select one or more volumes, click more >>

5. To free all allocations associated with the volumes, regardless of whether the data is written, select Free all allocations (written and unwritten).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 19th, 2015 07:00

See KB Article:

How to delete a volume (TDEV) in a VMAX3 frame running HYPERMAX OS 5977 from SYMCLI 8.0 and Unisphere for VMAX 8.0.

https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_How_To_Printable?id=kA0700000004VnRCAU

121 Posts

October 4th, 2016 20:00

Where error are you receiving?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

we are running the unisphere directly from the array itself, I will need to check on unmap, not sure if I have done it while removing the masking view. If it’s not default then,  I guess that’s stopping me.  tomorrow I am going to check again. Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

link isn't working, anyone has a solution for this  ? I am working on a VMAX3 AFA and need to delete a device and it won't let me.

121 Posts

There is no unbind on VMAX3. The only prerequsites to deletion are to unmap the device from all ports and to free all allocated tracks. If you have performed these actions, I would suggest running a rediscover in Unisphere to force it to re-sync it's local database with the array. If that doesn't work then I would suggest opening an SR with Dell EMC support.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

On Unisphere, I was running this test of deleting the device,  I have removed the masking view and freed up the thin device. It wouldn’t let me delete. I guess next step would be unbind but there’s no unbind when I select and right click the volume.

12 Posts

December 10th, 2016 19:00

Is the any command to verify that all storage has been freed ..... something like symdev -sid 1234 verify freeing -dev xxxx

I Want to write a script which will delete device after freeing up space.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 11th, 2016 20:00

symcfg list -sid 123 -srp -tdev -devs 00060

12 Posts

December 11th, 2016 21:00

THanks for the reply dynamox..... but while deleting large luns i hvae seen that  "symcfg -sid xxxx list -tdev -devs abcd" shows zero tracks allocated but still while deleting the tdev with symconfigure it says that tracks are still allocated....

SO is there any other way to find that  all tracks have been dellocated from tdev and all other backgroud tasks have been completed.....?

12 Posts

December 12th, 2016 02:00

THanks for the reply dynamox..... but while deleting large luns i hvae seen that "symcfg -sid xxxx list -tdev -devs abcd" shows zero tracks allocated but still while deleting the tdev with symconfigure it says that tracks are still allocated....

SO is there any other way to find that all tracks have been dellocated from tdev and all other backgroud tasks have been completed.....?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 12th, 2016 06:00

try this

symcfg -sid 123 verify -tdev -devs 00060 -freeingall

December 15th, 2016 12:00

I have found the best way to check that status of the device data "free" with symcfg -sid XX list -tdev -dev DEV -detail

It will show you total tracks and their status.."bound or U for Unbinding".

the REAL answer seems to be ..be patient.  While traditional vmax unbind also took some time to unbind from the pool, especially for large drives,  hypermax must background that free process further down because it seems to take a good deal longer.  Indeed I have seen as well when checking the status with symcfg that I will go all the way down to 0 tracks left but often sit in "U" status or not flip to "." status/unbound so symconfigure will still fail to delete.  Come back an hour later and rerun your delete, and all will be well

No Events found!