Highlighted
2 Iron

Deleting a VMAX3 LUN.

Jump to solution

I am challenged with Deleting a VMAX3 lun VIA Unisphere GUI.    There is no UNBIND from Pool option and i cant delete thin luns with alocated tracks.   The luns also not allocated to a Front End port. 

Any Thoughts..

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Iron

Re: Deleting a VMAX3 LUN.

Jump to solution
19 Replies
Highlighted
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

On VMAX3 you must run a "free all" to de-allocate all extents:

1. Select the storage system.

2. Select Storage > Volumes.

3. Locate the volumes using the volumes filter.

4. Select one or more volumes, click more >>

5. To free all allocations associated with the volumes, regardless of whether the data is written, select Free all allocations (written and unwritten).

Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

You will need to free any allocated tracks on the ydev before you can delete it. There is a symcli command for symdev free -all or in unishpere on the designated volume there should be a reclaim action as part of the options. Once all tracks are freed then you will be able to delete it.

VMAX3 has this new requirement sunce there is no more binding to pools with SRPs in place on the new array.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

See KB Article:

How to delete a volume (TDEV) in a VMAX3 frame running HYPERMAX OS 5977 from SYMCLI 8.0 and Unisphere for VMAX 8.0.

https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_How_To_Printable?id=kA0700000004VnRCAU

1 Copper

Jump to solution

Is the any command to verify that all storage has been freed ..... something like symdev -sid 1234 verify freeing -dev xxxx

I Want to write a script which will delete device after freeing up space.

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

symcfg list -sid 123 -srp -tdev -devs 00060

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

THanks for the reply dynamox..... but while deleting large luns i hvae seen that  "symcfg -sid xxxx list -tdev -devs abcd" shows zero tracks allocated but still while deleting the tdev with symconfigure it says that tracks are still allocated....

SO is there any other way to find that  all tracks have been dellocated from tdev and all other backgroud tasks have been completed.....?

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

THanks for the reply dynamox..... but while deleting large luns i hvae seen that "symcfg -sid xxxx list -tdev -devs abcd" shows zero tracks allocated but still while deleting the tdev with symconfigure it says that tracks are still allocated....

SO is there any other way to find that all tracks have been dellocated from tdev and all other backgroud tasks have been completed.....?

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

try this

symcfg -sid 123 verify -tdev -devs 00060 -freeingall