Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2015 06:00

Deleting a VMAX3 LUN.

I am challenged with Deleting a VMAX3 lun VIA Unisphere GUI.    There is no UNBIND from Pool option and i cant delete thin luns with alocated tracks.   The luns also not allocated to a Front End port. 

Any Thoughts..

68 Posts

January 13th, 2017 14:00

What level of validation does the symdev -sid xxxx -devs 0123 - 089a free -all command do ?

I had an instance where it did not validate if the LUN was mapped or masked, it went ahead and freed up the data on that LUN / range of LUNs.

12 Posts

January 15th, 2017 20:00

I Obeserved that when symdev free command is run the flags of devices shown in in symcfg list -tdev -dex xxxx changes from F..B to F..F (freeingall) and once all the tracks are deallocated it comes back to F..B.....abd then it allows us to delete the device.

so i scripted in the same way..... it works for small devices ... till 512gb

but if the device is 1TB or more then after issueing symdev free command the device flags changes from F..B to F..F (while freeing) to F..B (which now means all tracks deallocated)...... but when i issue command to delete the device, it again throws an error that tracks are still allocated to device even though it shows 0 tracks allocated in symcfg list -tdev - dev xxxx command and could not delete it.....but after some random time it allows me to delete the device.... this is wierd.... let me know if anyone of you face the same......

12 Posts

January 15th, 2017 20:00

THanks for sharing.... this is too dangerous..... i guess data is lost in this case and cannot be recovered.....

it will be helpfull if u share ur approach for deleting devices safely.....

68 Posts

January 17th, 2017 11:00

Yes the data was lost, however we were able to recover the data from the back ups.

We remove the devices from the storage groups, delete the masking view - set the devices to not_ready

wait for a 24 hour period to ensure no alerts have generated from the hosts.

after the 24 hour period, run a symdev -sid xxxx -devs yyyy-zzzz free -all .

2 Posts

November 16th, 2020 09:00

Same issue in PowerMax , have problem deleting the volumes after unmapped despite of running free allocation the volume still show track is allocated, that's from unisphere. 

• 

6.9K Posts

November 16th, 2020 15:00

Hello Alex0X,

Here is a link to a KB that maybe of assistance. https://dell.to/2UzV6ww

No Events found!