V_M_Ramkumar
3 Argentum

Difference Between Timefinder VP and Time Finder SNAP

HI Team,

please let know what is the main difference between the time finder VP and time Finder Snap.

Please let know where it can be used?

and also please let know if you have any diagram to understand better.

thanks in advance

Labels (1)
19 Replies
sauravrohilla
4 Tellurium

Re: Difference Between Timefinder VP and Time Finder SNAP

I am assuming you want to know the diff between tf/snap and tf vp snap.
1. tf snap works with symsnap command and tf vp works with symclone -vse option

2) in snap, protected tracks from source are copied to snap pool but in virtual snap, the protected tracks are copied to pools. You source and target both could reside in the same thin pool or in different.

3) VP Snap leverages TimeFinder/Clone technology to create space-efficient snaps for thin devices by allowing multiple sessions to share capacity allocations within a thin pool.

4) In diag below, i have got one thin source bound to a pool and three clone (vp snap) devices bound to another pool but the data of three targets are being shared. I can also have source and target bound to the same thin pool to save space.

VSE.JPG.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Saurabh,

Why you think have the source/ target will be at risk? I am not able to come up with a scenario where it willl impact.can you advise.

0 Kudos
sauravrohilla
4 Tellurium

avichal266 wrote:

Hi Saurabh,

Why you think have the source/ target will be at risk? I am not able to come up with a scenario where it willl impact.can you advise.

Sorry I did not understand you question. Are you asking having the source and target bound to the same pool is a risk? Yes it is.

regards,

Saurabh

0 Kudos
Quincy561
4 Beryllium

I don't recommend putting VP snaps in a separate pool, it just increases administrative overhead.

There may be exceptions, but in most cases they should be very happy in the same pool as the source devices.

dkakljkml
2 Bronze

Thnaks Quincy, My understanding was the same. Until someone give me a considerable advantage for using differnt pool for target devices.

0 Kudos
dkakljkml
2 Bronze

Hi Saurabh,

Thats what I was asking , what make bounding the source and target  to a same pool is at risk with respect SNAP vp ? You explained Yes it is . I am question is what is the risk?

From my understanding bounding the target device to a differnt pool, than the souce device , doesnt give any considerable adavange. For a scenario lets estimate incase source device is lost, in that case what ever pool the target is bound to will be impacted as target has pointer to the source device tracks which are not changed. As well bounding the target to a diifernt pool , doesnt give you cosiderable advantage over the cache or the pool capacity.

Only scenario I think of, where bounding the target to different pool will help -is when we dont want target to be a part of fast vp and as well when we  dont want the change tracks getting copied to the same disk spindle within the same pool which are shared by source and target.

0 Kudos
cincystorage
3 Zinc

Basically you've got symsnap and symclone...  Symsnap makes a copy of the data  you're snapping for access.  This way access to the snap does not impact the source volume buy takes additional storage. Whereas symclone simply references an existing copy of the data and IO sent to the clone is redirect (on the backend) to the data stored by the source.  This means you dont need as much space,  but IO operations on the copy can impact the source..

AranH1
4 Ruthenium

If you want to learn about VP Snaps review the white paper below:

https://support.emc.com/docu40346_White_Paper:_Implementing_EMC_TimeFinder_VP_Snap_for_Local_Replica...

The main differences?

TimeFinder VP Snap is part of TimeFinder clone and TDEVs as the snap targets, and are bound to Thin Pools.

TimeFinder Snap uses VDEVs as the snap targets and requires that you create a Snap pool using SAV devs (similar to TDATs).

V_M_Ramkumar
3 Argentum

so when i have use TF SNAP and TF VP SNAP ?

what is the benefit on these two ?

0 Kudos