Start a Conversation

Unsolved

356 Posts

July 11th, 2018 12:00

Easy way to identify what storage group a datastore is linked to

Community,

Is there an easy way to identify which storage group (on VMAX) any given datastore (within VMware) is associated with?  I need to generate a report that will identify what systems will be moved when we migrate certain storage groups to a new frame.

Thank you,

1.2K Posts

July 11th, 2018 13:00

If you have installed Solutions Enabler on a host server connected to your VMAX, you can use the symvm command to list servers and datastores.

If not, you can install the Solutions Enabler Virtual Appliance in your VMware environment, supplied as a downloadable OVA.  Once you install and configure the appliance, you can enable the VASA provider and get VMAX information displayed directly in vSphere.  This is the fastest route, because you'll be able to see the SymDev number of each LUN for your mapping purposes.

You can get more detail about the VASA provider and how it's used in this old whitepaper.  It gives you a pretty clear overview of how this integration pulls all the data you need into vSphere.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

123 Posts

July 11th, 2018 17:00

Unfortunately symvm is no longer supported and the VASA 1 integration isn't going to help as it does not do in-context storage translation. Best bet is to use Virtual Storage Integrator. We have a VMAX LUN Viewer which will show you the device ID, storage group, and datastore. I have a video here you can see how it works:  VSI 7.0 – the VMAX release – DELL EMC VMAX and PowerMax with VMware

You can copy and paste from the screen and that would give you want you want I think.

356 Posts

July 12th, 2018 06:00

Ahhh... such a bummer!  The vmware team evaluated this tool and found it NOT approved as per policies and processes.  Is there a way I can gleam a report on unisphere for VMAX that will let me see both the storage group and WWN(s) that is linked to? 

123 Posts

July 12th, 2018 08:00

There is some ability in the Unisphere REST API to do this, but the VMware integration for REST is still in development. You could pull storage groups, WWN, etc. but not the relationship with the datastores. Reports within Unisphere are limited to performance unfortunately.

356 Posts

July 12th, 2018 10:00

Drew,

any way to get the WWN and the storage group on the same report?  Rather than having to deep dive 2 levels into the storage group?

123 Posts

July 12th, 2018 12:00

It could be scripted, this information is available in the REST API. You can get a list of all storage groups, then the devices in the storage group and the associated WWN. I've seen Python be used in conjunction with the REST API. Paul's blog is a good place to get information  Getting Started with VMAX REST API 

As I noted VSI really is the easiest way to get the info but I understand your company won't allow it.

465 Posts

July 12th, 2018 19:00

"easy" is a relative term :-)  Do you have any method to do this currently?

The thing that ties the Datastore and a Symmetrix device is the WWN. So it is a 'simple' case of matching the some output from ESX that lists Datastore name and UUID /  NAA value with some Array output that lists device WWN and SG name.

You can produce output with SG name and device WWN with symcli commands. You will need to run symsg and symdev commands together so we are talking a script. There is generic help to do this Here.

Specifically it would look something like this:

C:\for /f "tokens=1" %i in ('symsg -sid xxx list ^| findstr F.X') do echo SG %i & symdev -sg %i list -wwn | findstr Visible > symsg_devwwn.txt

Obtain your Datastore, NAA/UUID output from ESX and put both outputs into excel, using the WWN as a key to match the data.

Some might call this easy :-)

356 Posts

July 16th, 2018 05:00

Does anyone know the WWN breakdown?  Or where I can find how to read it, i.e. URL, book, etc...?  Its so long and I want to make sure I understand what I am looking at.   I know that the first 8 mean something the next set of 8 mean somthing...etc..  I just want to be able to figure out what that is.

123 Posts

July 16th, 2018 06:00

356 Posts

July 16th, 2018 06:00

I just love it when my account level doesn't allow me to see certain links :/

356 Posts

July 16th, 2018 07:00

I'll talk to my sales to see if they can link my work email to a customer facing account.  Right now I am using my personal account to access communities and product information.

123 Posts

July 16th, 2018 07:00

It's customer-facing so it should be available to any Dell EMC customer account.

November 8th, 2020 12:00

The easiest way to map the Datastore name and NAA ID is using RVTools, you should have access to vCenter server use the RVtools to get all naa ID's mapped to VMware datastore.

Another way to get the naa ID from VMware is login to vCenter server or ESXi host, select vCenter from Inventory and click on Datastore tab, if naa id is not showing Right click on any tab showing Datastore name and select name and Devices it will show the Datastore name and naa id. Select all and from bottom right corner select export it will export all the Datastore name with naa id to csv file.

Hope this will help.

No Events found!