August 10th, 2012 09:00

FAST VP Metalun Best practices

What are the best practices / recommendation for metalun under FAST VP

i.e.

how many no. of the tdevs can be added to metalun

what is the maximum size of the metalun

1.3K Posts

August 11th, 2012 23:00

You can have up to 255 members in a meta, and each member on VMAX can be about 240GB in size, if you need a volume that large.

If you are using a meta volume for performance reasons on VP, up to 16 members is plenty to max out performance, and in most cases, 8 is enough.

August 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Thanks for response.

To provide more in detail;

I am planing to provide only one metavolume/lun per filesystem to the hosts, hence in case if the filesystem needed the size more than the one thin device, i can address that using the metavolume. In case of future growth requirement i can provdie that by attaching the thin device to metavolume.

So my query was what is optimal no. of thin devices can be attached to metavolume, this is also related for growth, wherein i can draw the line about the maximum no. of tdevs in metavolume for the optimal performace resons, beyond that the host should have another filesystem.

Thanks,

Vijay

5.7K Posts

August 16th, 2012 05:00

Do you really mean hypers? I think you mean devs, right? A dev is made of hypers/slices/splits.

Take a look at http://www.50mu.net/facilitate-the-conversation-say-what-you-mean-and-dont-make-assumptions/ for the correct terminology. No offence.

859 Posts

Correction, Dev it is. nice link

859 Posts

HI Vijay,

As Quincy said, for optimal performance 8 or 16 hypers you can attach to your meta volume. With 16 hypers, you can reach up to 3.7 TB which is a good amount for most applications.

regards,

Saurabh

5.7K Posts

August 16th, 2012 06:00

Thank you

August 16th, 2012 22:00

Thanks alll for response.

9 Posts

August 14th, 2013 08:00

Size of the Hyper is really matters based on number of BackEnd Directors and FrontEnd Directors

In General VMAX 10K 8 drives per engine on 959 series

In General VMAX 10K 16 drives per engine on 987 series

Number of hypers that limit based on BackEnd Directors and FrontEnd Directors, for example if you have 2 engine 4 directors and 4 engine 8 directors, 16- way Meta 128 GB Hypers  for 2 TB LUN would get you optimum performance

1.3K Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Rajavulla,

I'm confused.  The size of a given data device (TDAT) or given TDEV has nothing to do with the number of directors in the system, FE or BE.

2.1K Posts

August 15th, 2013 00:00

Hi Vijay,

Do you have the capacity growth picture of your application? I mean the estimation. As thin meta mainly resolve the problem of creating large volume rather than performance. I believe planning thin pool capacity is much important than considering no. of thin device. I don't agree to do too much expansion operations like adding concatenated member. I agree Quincy's suggestion. 8 is good. Don't exceed 16.

No Events found!