Highlighted
8 Krypton

FAST response when changing storage groups. . .

Jump to solution

All:

Let's say I have a volume in storage group A, and A is assigned to a FAST policy which allows use of all tiers.  The volume currently has allocation on every tier, despite being bound to SATA.

Then, let's say I move that volume into storage group B.  B has no FAST policy.

What does FAST do?  Does it not see it as "out of compliance", since there is no policy?  Does it eventually move the data to the bound pool?  I've been watching it for a week, and it doesn't seem to be moving any data off the premium tiers.

Thanks!

Brandon

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: FAST response when changing storage groups. . .

Jump to solution

Hi Brandon,

What you're seeing (no FAST movements) is the expected behavior in this case -- when you disassociate a device from a FAST Policy (which is what happened when you moved the dev out of a FAST-managed SG), the extents just remain where they were at the time of disassociation.

If you'd like the extents to be moved back to the bound pool, then you can execute a VLUN migration (symmigrate), or you can associate this SG to a different FAST Policy and let the FAST engine perform promotions/demotions again.

Thanks,

- Sean

1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: FAST response when changing storage groups. . .

Jump to solution

Hi Brandon,

What you're seeing (no FAST movements) is the expected behavior in this case -- when you disassociate a device from a FAST Policy (which is what happened when you moved the dev out of a FAST-managed SG), the extents just remain where they were at the time of disassociation.

If you'd like the extents to be moved back to the bound pool, then you can execute a VLUN migration (symmigrate), or you can associate this SG to a different FAST Policy and let the FAST engine perform promotions/demotions again.

Thanks,

- Sean