Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2016 13:00

Finding and removing decommissioned storage on VMAX

I have been tasked with going through our VMAX arrays (2 x 20Ks) to clean up old storage (storage groups, masking views, port groups, initiator groups, and devices).  Our decom process for hosts and storage is horrific.  We are currently in the process of migrations to VMAX3 and XtremeIO, but I need to clean up the mess on our 20Ks during the migrations.  Does anyone have a script that can be run to identify storage devices that have been stagnant for a long period of time?  There is so much storage that I believe can be reclaimed on these arrays, just need some help identifying it.  Any help with my cleanup efforts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

blooney

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 20th, 2016 19:00

no magic script will help you because each shop is unique. I would start looking at "symaccess -sid 123 list logins".  Start identifying systems that are not logged-in, see what initiator groups they belong to, what masking views they belong and what storage groups are being used.  I like to places devices into a device group and run symstat on that group for 24 hours or so ..to make sure i see absolutely no I/O. At that point i begin to carefully delete masking view.  I feel your pain but there is no silver bullet, just untangle the mess slowly.

April 25th, 2016 13:00

Thanks dynamox, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. 

November 2nd, 2016 09:00

dynamox ...assuming that you've identified the Masks that are no longer required and unmapped them with the appropriate symaccess command, and dissociated from any FAST policy   is there no script available  to your knowledge to simply

empty the contents of the sg, dissolve and delete any metavols ,  delete volumes..

ie for a given sg remove it and all its contents and delete all Metavols and devs,  to the point of giving back to the virtual pool.

Surely not a matter of listing all contents of group , making a note thereof , removing from sg and then dissolving deleting one at a time ...

I c an understand why this is made difficult to prevent any nasty surprises ....but as you can delete a storage group I wonder why not an option  to sort out its former contents too....or just wishful  thinking on my part perhaps.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 17th, 2016 13:00

i agree John, a lot of steps that could be streamlined. Things get slightly easier in VMAX3 where at least you don't have to worry about dissolving metas but you still have to "drain" individual devices after they have been removed from a storage group.

No Events found!