Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2015 13:00

How can I get a report in Unisphere for VMAX3 (8.0.2) which can give a per storage group usage of each tier

I have a customer who is service provider that has clients requesting capacity of say SATA or 10K or 15K etc. Now using SLO based provisioning, the part of the capacity is split into various tiers when we select GOLD (partly EFD, partly 10K and SATA). Customer want to present a report to his external clients on how much exact SATA/10K/EFD is used per SG so that he can chargeback.

June 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

Given that any report would only be accurate at that moment in time, this is probably not a equitable approach to charging. It is similar to what occurred in VMAX 2 using FAST. Some customers took a snapshot once a week of where each SG lived and charged for that type of space. But that had no true indication of the usage over longer periods of time. You could easily be taking the snapshot when a SG wasn’t using much SSD but a day later it does.

The most effective and accurate approach to chargeback has always been to use the FAST policy and now in a VMAX 3 to use the SLO. That ties it directly to the service time. You can easily see how much capacity an SG has actually used and charge a certain rate for Gold.

If you were billing me, this is exactly how I would want it. Otherwise I would suggest you are taking a snapshot when my usage of the expensive tier is high and it’s not appropriate.

Rich

Mobile: 201-410-7894

No Events found!