Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2015 19:00

isProTip

How do VMAX3 failover when a director is fault in a multiple-engine system

EMC VMAX3 protects all IO by mirroring all writes across cache boards in different engines in a multiple-engine system. But VMAX3 only supports Local RAID. Now I have a question, how do VMAX3 failover when a director is fault? Because cache and RAID are not belong to the same engine?

121 Posts

March 10th, 2015 19:00

Both directors in an engine have access to ALL disks attached to that engine. So in this example if Dir 1 goes offline, Dir 2 in the same engine will take over all of Dir 1's disks. As you mentioned cache is mirrored to another director in another engine, so that data is also still accessible.

18 Posts

March 10th, 2015 20:00

For example, Dir1 is mirrored with Dir3 normally. Do you mean that host IOs to Dir1 will be sent to Dir3 and then Dir3 transmits them to Dir2 after Dir1 goes offline?

121 Posts

March 10th, 2015 20:00

The Front-end (host access) is totally unrelated to the back-end (disk access). Regardless of which director the host request comes in on, that I/O will traverse the virtual matrix to get the data of the correct disks regardless of which director those disks are attached to. So in the event that Dir 1 goes down, all data on all disks is still accessible via the virtual matrix.

18 Posts

March 12th, 2015 18:00

Thank you for your answer.

I have another question: Dir3 will be mirrored with Dir2 or be mirrored with Dir4 or keep no mirroring when Dir1 goes offline?

isGoodTroubleshooting
No Events found!