Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 31st, 2013 09:00

How to set host ID 0 for a boot LUN on VMAX 10K via Unisphere

Hi All,

not sure whether this has been covered before but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

I'm migrating from a VNX infrastructure to a VMAX one and it's now time to move all my boot LUNs (Data has been moved already).

The data LUNs have been assigned host IDs starting from 1; I'm now trying to assign a new (boot) lun to each host and to set hostID=0 to these LUNs in order to make them 'bootable'. When I try to do that I get this error:

Invalid starting LUN value:0

although 0 has not been used before.

I'm using Unisphere for VMAX and I'd like a way to be able to do that from GUI.

Anyone stumbled upon this before?

Many thanks!

MP

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 31st, 2013 10:00

give CLI a shot to make sure it's consistent with the error you get in the GUI

symaccess -sid 123 -name sc_host -type storage add devs 0BAD -lun 0

it's possible host ID 0 is already taken

34 Posts

October 31st, 2013 11:00

Unisphere seems to have an issue which doesnt allow you to add a lun with an HLU lower than what is already in place.

In your case you have already added a lun with an HLU of 1, Hence unisphere will only allow you to use 2 or above.

Not sure if this is changed in the latest versions.

You have 2 options here:

1. Use the CLI with the -lun option

2. Re-create the Masking view from Unisphere, adding the boot lun first.

October 31st, 2013 12:00

Thx guys:

- I'm sure host ID 0 is not taken but I'll try the cli to check error consistency

- I get the same error when creating a brand new masking view adding the first LUN so I guess it's definitely a gui issue, hope it gets fixed in a new version

Thx again

40 Posts

October 6th, 2014 12:00

When creating the masking view, you will have a button to “set dynamic LUNs”. This also shows up when you add a LUN to the storage group.

October 6th, 2014 12:00

Has this been fixed yet?

We hvae VMAX's at remote sites and can only use the Unisphere Web Client to access the storage. We try to configure the masking view with the GUI to get HID of 1, no luck.  I know how to do it by command line but we do not have a SYMCLI server at that site.

Any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 7th, 2014 06:00

symaccess -sid 123 show view

89 Posts

October 7th, 2014 06:00

how do you check what the current hlu's are for devices in a storage group?

this command doesn't provide that detail and Uni for Vmax doesn't either.

symaccess -sid xx show -type storage

thanks.

4 Posts

October 9th, 2014 07:00

A lot of times the ACLX LUN is mapped to LUN 0 on a new VMAX.

I usually unmap this dev from all the FA's as one of the first steps when we get a new array.

If you look at what's mapped to the FA's - Most likely you'll see the same dev on LUN 0 on all of the FA's.

You can check a few (or all FAs) to see what is mapped to LUN 0 on the FA with - "symcfg -sid #### list -FA XX -p # -address"  (e.g. symaccess -sid 1234 list -fa 7G -p 0 -address)

See what's mapped to 0 and you can then do "symdev -sid #### show " of the dev that was mapped to 0.  I bet you'll find it mapped to 0 on all of the FAs.  If it's a 3cylinder dev on LUN 0 on all the FA's - then about 99% of the time it's that ACLX LUN.

You should be able to safely unmap that dev from the FA's, but open an SR just to be safe.  Also, be sure to rescan any hosts for added/removed devs when you unmap the ACLX dev.

No Events found!