Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2015 09:00

Is there a command line interface for Unisphere?

I am interested in automating collection of performance data for VMAX systems. So far, I have been using the symstat command but it looks like Unisphere is showing more interesting data.

Is there anyway to get the Unisphere performance data on the command line (or through some API) or is symstat really the main command to collect performance data?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 15th, 2015 20:00

does it need to be command line, how about scheduling export of upv or ttp files ?

30 Posts

September 16th, 2015 13:00

If it is the only way to extract data out of Unisphere, I'll have to look into it. While doing more research, I found that there is a REST api that seems very promising. I'm going to try getting data from that interface.

September 17th, 2015 05:00

The REST Api is the only way to communicate with the Uni database.  But I would also take a look at why it would be necessary to maintain a separate database outside of Uni?  The Uni DB can hold 15 months of historical data so its very long term.  You can easily have any report / chart you create exported as a CSV file.  In Uni V8, you can schedule this to be run and emailed to you automatically. So if you simply want some basic metrics like array IOPPS, MBS, etc...go this route.

30 Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

OK, thanks for the confirmation. I am looking into the rest API.

The reason for the separate database is that we need collect data from multiple storage array types, across multiple vendors and the Unisphere data is only a part of it.

September 17th, 2015 11:00

Each of the Unisphere sections that can be monitored or configured using the REST API are separated into different resources and detailed in the REST API documents. The documents are available here:  https://UNIVMAX_IP:UNIVMAX_PORT/univmax/restapi/docs , Where, UNIVMAX_IP is the IP address and UNIVMAX_PORT is the port, of the host running Unisphere for VMAX. Once the Zip file has been downloaded, extract the zip file contents and open “index.html”. All URLs, Required parameters and returned results for each resource are detailed in full within these navigable REST API documents. The subsequent WADL file is also available from this location.

30 Posts

September 17th, 2015 13:00

Thanks Rich. That's what I've been doing. I have downloaded the zip files and am going through the API documentation. It looks like I have everything I need.

No Events found!