Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 29th, 2016 13:00

Is this possible in Unisphere?

Ok, this might sound like a silly question, but does anyone use Unisphere to delete a volume or TDEV?

Let's say you have a TDEV that you would like to delete and it is located within a storage group.  I have never found a way to navigate through the myriad of prerequisites necessary to pull off this apparently monumental feat in Unisphere.

Not sure if this is EMC’s way of protecting you from the accidental deletion of a volume, but it seems practically impossible to do from the GUI. Even from the command line the process requires at least six steps to completely delete the volume and dissolve any meta’s.

In my other arrays (from a different manufacturer) I can unmap the volume and delete it is a single step in their GUI.

Am I missing the “Easy Button” in Unisphere to delete a volume, or can anyone explain to me how they delete a volume in Unisphere?

1.2K Posts

March 1st, 2016 08:00

You are correct - it is a lengthy process to delete a TDEV via Unisphere for VMAX.  I think it is related to EMC's wish to protect users from accidentally deleting provisioned volumes.

Basically, once a TDEV is in a masking view, you can't perform any deletion action until the TDEV is no longer visible to a host.  Then, you can dissolve the meta and destroy it without issue.  There's no one-step way to do this in the GUI, but many users script large pieces of this with SYMCLI.  I have a convulted awk script I've been meaning to try for years, but I haven't had a chance to pull the trigger on it.

Hope this helps!

Karl

August 2nd, 2016 00:00

1:- Make it not ready

2:- Remove from storage group .. while removing from the storage group, please use unmap option, if that storage group is part of masking view.

2:-A make sure that, tdevs are not mapped to any front end ports  symdev -sid xxx list -tdev -multiport -devs 1ABC,2ABC

2:-B if it's listing mapping.. then

2:-B Go to Volumes

2 :C- If it is non meta devices.. Select tdevs.. Fileter using the symdev id. Select the device  then unmap

2:-C Once unmap is successful.. you can unbind from same page and from the same page you can delete it.

3:- If it is a meta devices..... Select tdevs.. Fileter using the symdev id. Select the device  then unmap

3:-A Once unmap is successful.. you can unbind from same page and from the same page you can dissolve it.

4: Once meta dissolve is completed, go back to tdev volumes filter the volumes, which is in not_ready, not bind, not mapped, not masked. Then delete the member volumes.

11 Posts

June 8th, 2021 08:00

in unisphere for PowerMax after unmap the volumes and remove it from the storage group. choose the volume need to do more action -->start --. free allocation for all --> run the job --> wait for some time, then you will be able to delete.

sometimes this is not work and you have to free allocation  and/or reclaim unused capacity --> then free all --> and delete. its complicated procedure that take long time to complete. 

No Events found!