Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2014 15:00

Migrate pinned TDEV's to their original Pools

I have some TDEV's in a FastVP pool that the app owners have requested to be pinned and moved back to their bound tiers.

I'm just wondering what is the correct way to pin then migrate these devices to ensure they are on their correct pool.

Is this done via the VLUN Migration option within Unisphere?

419 Posts

January 20th, 2014 06:00

Andy,

yes you can do this with the vlun migration option in Unisphere;     It's detailed in the Unisphere Product Guide p250

EDIT :: Sorry Copy and paste didn't take  the file is attached

1 Attachment

123 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 05:00

Yes, pin the devices and use VLUN to migrate them back to the original pool.   What rohang is saying is not correct.  If you remove a device from FAST VP by no longer associating the storage group with a policy, the extents of the device are not going to "magically" go back to the original thin pool.  They will stay where they are.  You would still have to manually move them back.

859 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 05:00

yes, it needs to be done through VLUN migration feature.

January 23rd, 2014 08:00

That's right, Drew. I was incorrect.

VLUN VP has the ability to move all allocated thin device extents from one pool to another, and it is this feature that is the basis for FAST VP.

And when using VLUN VP for devices under FAST VP control, it is recommended to pin the TDEVs to the target thin pool so FAST VP won't move them to other tiers until the user is ready. When TDEVs under FAST VP control are pinned to a thin pool, FAST VP continues to collect statistics, but it won't issue move plans for them.

Thanks.

January 23rd, 2014 08:00

Hello Andy,

Before selecting the VLUN Migration option for the TDEV, make sure you pin the device.

Use a #symdev pin to pin the TDEV and then a #symmigrate to move it to the bound tier ..

for Unisphere, you should see something like this ..

pin.png

Thanks.

16 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 13:00

Thanks very much.

I thought it was that, just wanted to verify. It was very simple.

No Events found!