Highlighted
2 Iron

Migrating Data from HP XP 12K to VMAX 20K

Hi Guys,

We are planning to migrate some legacy workloads from XP 12K to VMAX 20K.

Apart from checking the size on source and destination and considering the OS level compatibility, what is the best way to achieve this?

In total we have 4 hosts consuming around 8-9 TB space (which has huge DB instances).

The OS team is planning to migrate the OS to Linux on VMware platform and carry out a DB restore.

What are the best practices and proactive planning steps that I should be considering before I engage EMC professional services to acheive this. The 2 arrays are connected on different fabrics, HPserved by Brocade switch and VMAX by Cisco MDS.

Thanks for highlighting the points those needs to be considered.

Regards

Harshal

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: Migrating Data from HP XP 12K to VMAX 20K

so there is no data migration per say, you are changing operating system and you will be performing RMAN backup/restore into new environment ?  So what is being migrated ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

The plan is to first P-2-V HP UX to Linux and then transfer all data from HP XP 12K to VMAX.

So, I need a plan for migrating data from storage end.

What are the best practices and what parameters needs to be kept in mind.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

If you are looking for an array-side method to perform a block data migration, I would suggest Open Replicator Hot Pull.

All the details can be found in the Solutions Enabler 8.1 Array Management PDF, Ch 23: Open Replicator Operations.