Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2015 14:00

Reconfigure/Convert tdev to full preallocated tdev

Hi, I need to reconfigure/convert an existing not preallocated tdev (already bound to a tpool) to a preallocated tdev in the same tpool and without any data lost. Is it possible?

The procedure should be online without any interruption of service.

max

213 Posts

January 7th, 2015 14:00

Hi Max,

Welcome to EMC Community...

You can fully preallocate a tdev,/tdev range by running this command:

symconfigure -sid xxx -cmd " start allocate on tdev xx:yy start_cyl=0  end_cyl=last_cyl;" -nop commit

The complete command syntax can be found in SE command reference guide page 126 (SE v7.6)

Starting allocation on thin devices:
start allocate on tdev < [: ] |
in DG | in SG >
start_cyl =
|
size = MB | GB | CYL>,
[allocate_type = persistent];

Hope this helps

Mohammed Salem

419 Posts

January 8th, 2015 04:00

Max/Mohammed,

there are multiple ways of doing the allocate however the symconfigure way is being depreciated in the latest version 8.0.1, If you're new to this then the habit is easy to break, for the rest of us need to adapt .  

Unisphere will let you do it by simply right clicking the device once located in the UI and select begin allocate or start allocation. 

The other way is to do on the symdev command.

symdev -sid xxx -devs xxx start allocate [-persistent]

or you can do the same on the storage group or device group using symsg or symdg commands.

hope this helps..  Happy New Year.

January 8th, 2015 07:00

Hi Paul,

thank you for hint on Unisphere, I foud it on my interface! But even here there are no info about the data integrity, so I relay on the same question as per Mohammed.

Is data preserved? Or, I loss something along these ways?

ps. Happy New Year you too

419 Posts

Data is preserved with the allocate, we are simply grabbing the rest of the tracks promised to the device and reserving them for future use.  Likewise you can do a reclaim later too only tracks that are unwritten or contain all zero are reclaimed to the system this too preserves data.

Disruptive commands that will destroy data will insist the device be made not ready before hand..  But it's best to check if you're not sure. 

Hi Mohammed,

thank you very much for your hint.

I match it at pag 126 as you said but there are no other information about it, just the syntactic example.

Do you know where can I found more info (description/concept) about data preservation along the use of this command ?

213 Posts

January 9th, 2015 03:00

Awesome explanation Paul. You are right. I should get more hands on experience with SE 8.0.1 now

-Mohammed Salem

January 14th, 2015 01:00

Hi Paul.

I'will come back here as soon as I have time to do a test and I'll post a feed about the data integrity question.

Thanks.

No Events found!