Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2013 08:00

Removing a device from storage group

Hi,

in the process of removing a device from storage group, I have applied the command as follow below: 

symaccess -sid 37 -type storage -name FRDGRHD38_PRA_A01_A02_shared_SG remove devs 0114 -unmap

I then had an output screen with this message: "Symmetrix access control denied request"

Can you please assist or let me know if I did wrong somewhere?

=== relative infos

- No ACLs applied against SG "FRDGRHD38_PRA_A01_A02_shared"

- SE 7.4

- Running Symcli as administrator

- screenshot attached

1 Attachment

76 Posts

June 11th, 2013 09:00

That's a SYMACL (access controls) error.  Make sure your host has permissions to the devices you're working on.

Some commands that may help:

symacl -sid 37 list -acl  (lists the ACLs with their pools and types)

symacl -sid 37 list

symacl -sid 37 list -v

symacl -sid 37 list -accpool

symacl -sid 37 list -accgroup

If you have a specific group or pool you want to see, run these commands:

symacl -sid 37 show accgroup

symacl -sid 37 show accpool

The EMC Solutions Enabler Symmetrix Array Management CLI Product Guide has a chapter on SYMACL, called "Host-Based Access Control" if you need it.  You should be able to search for it on the support site and download the document for your SE version.

Hope this helps.

286 Posts

If you have SYMACLs enabled and dont have the host in a group with Masking access, you will not be able to issue any symaccess or symmask commands. ACLs for masking are all or nothing, they arent applied for sg, view etc. It will either allow you to perform any and all masking operations or none. I would make sure you host has that permission.

Check the SYMAPI log to see if there is a more detailed error.

812 Posts

Can you check the output of symcfg list -v for this system.  The Access control configuration may be disabled in your case (which should be enabled).

6 Posts

June 11th, 2013 16:00

Hi Guys,

I will get back to you after after applying the proposed solutions as all your points are converging to symacl check

thanks again for your help

6 Posts

June 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi Guys,

As promised, I processed to check as you requested and I found that the host

where I was running the commands from didn't have any permission to the device I was working on.

I applied the command from a different host that did have and that worked

Thanks for your assistance 

No Events found!