Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2018 01:00

SN

Hi,

in linux i can see the serial number of local disk.

i think that i can not see the serial number of disks in SAN that belong to a LUN where the LUN is created on RAID and is seen by linux.

can i see from outside of the network of a company the SAN?

tnx

465 Posts

July 31st, 2018 15:00

Well that depends. SCSI protocol will only report on the luns that are visible. A storage management software product may be able to show the device WWN for all devices in the array. Solutions Enabler is an example. e.g. command:

symdev -sid xx list -wwn

Different storage arrays / software products can perform storage management out-of-band (no SAN connection) and still get WWN details. Like the symdev command above, this is not performed with native SCSI protocol.

465 Posts

July 30th, 2018 16:00

If the Linux host has storage provisioned from a SAN, the array / disk serial numbers will be visible. Under SCSI protocol there are SCSI commands to interrogate disks such as INQ and REPORT LUNS.

For Example on a Red Hat, the PVDISPLAY command will show the device PV Name and in this string you will find the array Serial number. The INQ utility from EMC will do a similar job.

In other words, it doesn't matter what host platform is used, the serial number can be determined from the capabilities of the SCSI protocol. Any platform that has a utility that makes those SCSI commands will show the array serial (and device) numbers.

10 Posts

July 30th, 2018 22:00

hi,

so it does not matter if linux see only the LUN from SAN as a disk with certain command i can see all the disks from SAN where the LUN is created.let`s say LUN is on RAID 5 with 5 disks.i can see all the 5 serial number.tnx

No Events found!