Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2013 17:00

Snapshots and Vdev not ready state

I activated a snapshot and presented it to a seperate host.  I verified that all snap for the devices was in the copyonwrite state.  The data from the snap was copied to a new location but the data was corrupted.  After some investigation we saw that the VDEV was in the not ready state even though all devices were in the copyonwrite state. We recreated the Snap and activated and the Vdev's were then in the ready state.  What can cause a vdev to be not ready after a snap is activated?

Thanks,

Mike

859 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 18:00

you can check symapi logs for information or can open a support ticket with pse labs.

regards,

saurabh

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 19:00

enough space in save pool ?

465 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 19:00

If the SAVE area gets full, active VDEVS will automatically into the Not Ready state. Can you confirm that you did not experience a SAVE area full condition? You may see a message in the symapi logs or check the symmetrix events via the symevent list command.

278 Posts

May 24th, 2013 01:00

Hi Jason,

i believe that if the SAVE area gets full, the n the VDEVs will get into failed state if i remembered well.

465 Posts

May 24th, 2013 02:00

Actually we are both right. On a SAVE area full condition, VDEVS can go NR and Failed state. Only if there is IO to the devices involved in the session will this occur. This makes sense because the integrity of the VDEV is lost.

The behavior is explained in the TimeFinder CLI Product Guide (Monitoring SAVE Device usage).

465 Posts

May 24th, 2013 06:00

No. Only when the SAVE area is full AND you are doing IO to the devices (source or Target) will it go NR.

Did you check symevent?

50 Posts

May 24th, 2013 06:00

I definately have enough Thin pool Space.  7.5 TB and allocated is at 1.3 Tb Free is 6.2 TB.

JasonC your saying if there is I/O to the device I am snap'ing it can cause the Vdev to go into a NR state?

Thanks,

Mike

50 Posts

May 24th, 2013 08:00

I did but there is quite a bit of info in there that I need to dig through so I am going to try that a bit later.  Thank you for the command!

One other thing.  When using SMC and going to the DG and expanding the tree to show "Associated VDEV's" it shows dev status as ready or not ready.  When I do a symdev show there is nothign in there that leads me to believe that the device is NOT ready.

Thanks,

Mike

278 Posts

May 27th, 2013 00:00

Hi Mpalumbo,

sometimes the SMC console needs refersh or run discovery via the SMC console.

No Events found!