Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2013 13:00

SymmOptimizer

I am planning to attempt a lun migration between tiers and wanted to get some feedback on the SymmOptimizer tool. What are the tool's current limitations?

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a doc that goes over the procedures and has more information about the tool.

Thanks

2.1K Posts

October 9th, 2013 20:00

Hi J.B

There are some considerations pointed in Solutions Enabler Array Control Guide which you may refer for migrating device through Symmoptimizer.

https://support.emc.com/docu46981_Solutions_Enabler_Symmetrix_Array_Controls_CLI_7.6_Product_Guide.pdf

Pre Enginuity 5874, refer P312, Migrating Devices section.

After Enginuity 5874, refer P233 Enhanced Virtual LUN Technology.

Hopes it can help.

859 Posts

October 9th, 2013 21:00

Do you have 5874 and above code? You can go for VLUN migration also..I find it easier..

98 Posts

October 10th, 2013 09:00

If you are running on a VMAX and have 5874 code or hgher then you can leverage Virtual LUN (VLUN) to migrate devices between tiers. More information on this tool can be found in the Best Practices for Nondisruptive Tiering via EMC Symmetrix Virtual LUN Technical Note available at

https://support.emc.com/docu8483_Best_Practices_for_Nondisruptive_Tiering_via_EMC_Symmetrix_Virtual_LUN_Technical_Note.pdf?language=en_US

If you are running a DMX, take a look at theSymmetrix Optimizer and Fully Automated Storage Tiering for Symmetrix DMX Series Arrays Technical Note available at

https://support.emc.com/docu9754_Symmetrix_Optimizer_and_Fully_Automated_Storage_Tiering_for_Symmetrix_DMX_Series_Arrays_Technical_Note.pdf?language=en_US

25 Posts

October 10th, 2013 10:00

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

25 Posts

October 11th, 2013 05:00

I used VLUN to migrate the volumes to T1 successfully, but when I try to migrate them back to T2 it is complaining "Can't perform action on any of the selected volumes". Have you run into this issue before?

98 Posts

October 11th, 2013 06:00

Did you terminate the original migration session?  A device can only be in one migration session at a time. And the session will stick around uintil you manually terminate it (it will stay in the migrated state until then).

Quick tip if you get this messag ein the future.  From the command line, if you add the -v option to the symmigrate command, it will provide more information on any devices that weren't successfully selected to be migrated, including the reason why they weren't selected.

Hope that helps.

25 Posts

October 11th, 2013 06:00

That did it . I used Unisphere instead of SYMCLI because I wasn't able to find any documentation for migrating specific luns as opposed to the entire Storage Group. Perhaps it could be done by creating a file that includes all the LUNs that are targeted for migration and by specifying that on the command.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

98 Posts

October 11th, 2013 07:00

The VLUN technote I linked to before has a section on how to specify the devices to be migrated.  You can specify a storage group (-sid xxxx -sg sgname), a device group (-g dgname), or a device file (-sid xxxx -f filename).

In the case of a file, the devices to be migrated need to be listed in a single column of a file.

If you are migrating non-thin devices, the device file can contain two columns of devices if migrating to configured space - source devices in the first column and target devices in the second column.

25 Posts

October 11th, 2013 11:00

I was able to migrate a specific LUN successfully via the SYMCLI.

Here are some of the commands I used:

symmigrate -sid xxxx  -f migration.txt -tgt_pool -pool t1_EFD -name server_vlun_test validate

symmigrate -sid xxxx  -f migration.txt -tgt_pool -pool t1_EFD -name server_vlun_test establish

symmigrate -sid xxxx -name server_vlun_test query "to monitor the status of the migration"

symmigrate -sid xxxx -name server_vlun_test verify -migrated " to verify the migration was completed"

No Events found!