Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2014 16:00

Unisphere for VMAX - Autoprovision LUN Addresses

Just a question regarding Unisphere for VMAX and auto provisioning.

I've noticed that it will automatically add LUN Address numbers from 1-x not 0-x, this results in a large number of 2.81mb disks on LUN 0 for each Port the host initiator connects to.

Is this by design? Or is there a way within Unisphere to set a volume on Address 0?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

that must be ACLX, you can write disable it and unmap it ..after that you will be able to start with Host LUN 0. If you look at that 2.81 MB device..it's just one device mapped to many FAs ..something that i have see CE do very often. That way when it's a brand new array you can zone to any port and start managing the array until you provision dedicated gatekeepers.

16 Posts

Ahh yeah you are correct, ACLX is enabled for every port.

I've just been dropped on this system and I'm cross-skilling from VNX/Clariion so still getting my head around it

Not sure why its still enabled but the people who set it all up are no longer with the company.
We are about to install another Director so i'll raise it with the EMC architect responsible for that.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 13th, 2014 17:00

in my shop i never unmapped ACLX, my system guys don't care if first LUN starts at 0 or 1. They are using PowerPath so native devices are not something they mess with, they always work with emcpowerx( on Linux for example). When we installed new engines ..after the initial one, ACLX was no longer mapped to new FAs.  They always do it on the first engine to get you going in terms of managing the box.

34 Posts

February 13th, 2014 22:00

You'll also find if you specify -lun 0 when you create the view or add a device it will show the specified lun 0 to the host and not the aclx device.  No need to unmap aclx.

All our san boot servers use lun 0 as the boot device.   We create the view with - lun 0 and only the boot device in the SG, then add the remaining devs. 

No Events found!