Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2015 10:00

VMAX 20K TDEV performance monitoring?

I have 2 storage groups that have erratic performance.  No one is complaining yet but I want to get ahead of it.  Does anyone know of a way in Unisphere to view sub-storage group performance at the TDEV level?  The application is write intensive and the FE's, DA's look good. Reviewing the storage group performance, write response times approaches 100 ms at points with the workload in the 85 - 90% write range. Again this is not consistent and is related to data loads or cube rebuilds. (the performance actually flips during the backup window)  Back in the day, I would use workload analyzer to look at this. Thanks in advance!

522 Posts

August 27th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Assuming you have the performance analyzer software in Unipshere you can utilize the Analyze > Diagnostic view. If you double-click on the array serial number and then the storage group tab it will give you a list of the SG's to chose from. Once you chose the one you want to monitor you can double click it and it will dive into the volumes that make up that storage group - TDEVs, Meta's, thick, etc.

Once you have drilled down to that level, you can see all of the LUNs and what their individual metrics are. If you have a LUN in the storage group that is a Meta TDEV, then you can double-click on it again and it will go even further to show you the metrics on the individual members that comprise that Meta TDEV. This will give you an idea of is the metavolume is balanced across all members, and what the individual workload is on the individual LUNs of a storage group.

If you want to go even further to the disk level, you can keep double-clicking on the entity to drill down to that level (for example, you can double-click on a meta member that makes up a metavolume and it will show you the physical disks that the volume resides on and the metrics associated with that disk).

Also in the Analyze portion of the GUI (where you would do all of this) you can use Unisphere to build charts from the various KPI's and then add them to your main dashboard....this way you can have a quick glance at any time of the desired performance metric and a timeline to quickly view any erratic performance versus having to drill all the way down again.

HTH,

-K

9 Posts

August 27th, 2015 07:00

Outstanding! This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank-you for taking the time to reply.

No Events found!