Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2015 19:00

VMAX management

Hi Guys,

I would be responsible for Knowledge Transition for a customer using VMAX 20k.

I haven't worked on 20K before but have experience in VNX.

Could you guys please help me with the list of documents I need and probably if someone can share some templates that would help me document the environment in a better way. The customer doesn't hav good process in place, so would be a lot of effort for me.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Regards

Harshal

2.1K Posts

April 27th, 2015 22:00

Hi Harshal,

If you're not familiar with VMAX management. Probably you should start from Solutions Enabler & Unisphere for VMAX documents on support.emc.com. The product documents provide the general management tasks of VMAX. Below are the links:

https://support.emc.com/products/2071_Solutions-Enabler/Documentation/

https://support.emc.com/products/27045_Unisphere-for-VMAX/Documentation/

-Fenglin

35 Posts

April 28th, 2015 19:00

Hi Fenglin,

Thank you for your reply.

I am already aware of Unisphere and Solutions enabler, what I am looking at is some standard process related documents, best practices to follow or some kind of key point agenda that I should be looking at.

As suggested earlier, the customer really don't have anything other than the configuration report that EMC provides after installation.

Thank for your help.

Regards

Harshal

12 Posts

April 29th, 2015 02:00

Hi Harshal,

If you are already familiar with Unishere and solutions enabler then your are most of the way there. Best practices for configuring VMAX is make sure it is balanced.
There are a number of presentations which go through this subject which you can search for on emc support.:

I would always allow for the following basic rules as a starting point, below some pointers I would always look for at first glance.

• If you have EFD's in your system make sure they are balance across the engines, allow 8 EFD drives per engine on a 20K so as that the engine gets balance and work on approx. 2000 iops per drive.
  • Work on a 50% utilization rule on a component, this allows for failure, and consider a hockey stick performance line, i.e. if a component is getting to 70% - 80% this is not good. (Little's law utilization)
  • Assume the following numbers when looking at tiering and how you are planning your disk technology.
    15k FC disk can do 150 iops, 10k FC disk can do 120 iops 7200 SATA can do 1,000-2000 iops, EFD can do about 200 iops. The work on multiples of 8 Drives per engine and it should balance nicely. The EFDs are the most important here.
  • For Frontend connections "Go wide before you go deep", use all the 0 ports first and go across all the directors. You will get better availability if you take this approach.
  • For drive hypers on the 20K fewer and larger hypers will give better overall system performance. Consider your Hyper size based on your disk size, 8 splits , 16 splits even more when it comes to the larger drives as you are limited to a 240.48 Gb split on the 20K.

The list above is a short summary of what is detailed in may of the docs but it will give you an idea of what you need to look out for.  Look for documents that explain FAST in a VMAX as those docs cover a lot of the best practices even without considering FAST.
https://support.emc.com/docu31003_FAST-VP-for-Symmetrix-VMAX-Theory-and-Best-Practices-for-Planning-and-Performance.pdf?language=en_US

Jimmy

35 Posts

April 29th, 2015 21:00

HI Jimmy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have noted down the pointers, let me have a look at the current state of infrastructure and I would like to trouble u with some more questions.

Harshal

No Events found!