Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2011 05:00

VMAX - options for i/o modules

Please advise on options for expanding a VMAX-2 (all FC i/o modules) to a VMAX-4 configured for mainframe FICON , FC and the ability to replicate via

SRDF/A (for mainframe) over ethernet.

Note that all our Engine 4/5 connections are FC and effectively allocated.

We are obtaining a third engine will all FC modules (so far).

Howerver a requirement has now arisen for mainframe connectivity , not precluding SRDF/A over ethernet, which would requirement a fourth Engine.

It appears that its mandated to pair i/o modules for even/odd director resilience, but if this is so we would appear to be obliged to place all of

our FICON / GigE modules on the same Engine 6.  Whilst this would appear to be ok it seems desirable to try and spread the FICON/ GigE modules acorss Engines - can this be achieved at the expense of even / odd Director resilience.

Hope i've made this  question sufficiently clear! Thanks

1.3K Posts

July 6th, 2011 05:00

The configuration rules state that each engine must be symmetrical with the IO modules installed on each side of the engine.  It may be technically possible to deviate from this, but it would require a RPQ at least. 

119 Posts

July 12th, 2011 07:00

It is only a hardware requirement, both I/O modules need to be same hardware.  So you could then configure 7H as SRDF and 8H as FC.

23 Posts

Thanks!

23 Posts

Does this configuration rule apply to individual port configuration as well? For example, I have 2 engines and I need to use 2 FC ports for SRDF. If I configure Director 7 port H0 as an SRDF port (RF) do I also have to configure Director 8 port H0 as an SRDF port? Or can I leave it as a FA port and configure Director 10 port H0 as my second SRDF port?

No Events found!