Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2015 06:00

VMAX port utilization

I have to zone a new esx host to the VMAX . I trying to find  least utilized ports that I can zone the HBAs to .

How do I find it through symCLI and unisphere ?  Thanks !

522 Posts

October 14th, 2015 04:00

The easiest way through Unisphere is to use the Performance dashboard - do you have that licensed/enabled for your array in Unisphere? That is the only way to see the relative utilization of the FA's compared to each other. The only way without any of that is to have EMC collect the data and use their tools (MiTrends, etc) to give you a report or simply look at your port groups and see how many masking views are on each...trying to balance them out...but that won't give you any indication of load, just configuration.

October 14th, 2015 06:00

Hello , Thanks for the reply .

I have   license enabled for the the array . I am looking in  array> performance> monitor

The box  already has  port groups created , I need to pick the one that is least utilized , Should I look into the %busy statistics or others as well . Is there a document that describes it all ?

Thanks !

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 14th, 2015 09:00

yes, i like to look %busy for FAs (remember one CPU services 2 ports)

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

October 15th, 2015 02:00

question regarding this, does the FS% busy act as an aggregate for the port % busy under it ? If so, looking at a random example;

busy.PNG.png

the Top blue line is the FA busy % while the yellow and red lines are the FA Port bust %. So they are not an sum but there is something else making up the difference. What is that something ?

522 Posts

October 16th, 2015 04:00

I would have to take a look at the GUI to interpret that a little better, but the blue line is what I would go by and typically go by in my analysis. I'm not exactly sure why the others don't sum up to it as expected if they are the port busy stats on the FA. If you hover over the lines do they depict a different statistic by any chance? I can do some additional digging when I am online and have access to an instance to look at the same view...but the blue line is what I would go with for now.

From the docs, the FA %Busy is the percentage of time the FA is busy and the Port %Busy is the utilization percent of the ports so its very possible the calculations are different - %utilized versus %busy but that is just an inference from the docs and previous performance analysis on Symms.

121 Posts

October 16th, 2015 05:00

They are measuring two different things.

FA % busy is measuring how busy the CPU is.

Port % busy is measuring how full the FC channel is.

One is measuring CPU, the other is measuring bandwidth. They are different things and will not add up.

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

October 16th, 2015 05:00

Tks.

No Events found!