Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2015 23:00

VMAX10K disk clone (bcv)

Hi,

We want to clone disk in VMAX10K every day in order to use in our test environment.

Can you suggest me procedure for this job ?

Actually we are doing like this and it is running first time. But we try it next day with recreate or terminate and create it did not take new data.

First;

symclone -sid XXX create -f asd.txt -precopy -diff

symclone -sid XXX activate -f asd.txt -consistent

and we check oracle db and it can be opened.

Next step we want to refresh data;

symclone -sid XXX terminate -f asd.txt  -force

symclone -sid XXX create -f asd.txt -precopy -diff

Oracle db cannot be opened and we check data in ASM and there is no change in data. data is the first time clone data.

What is my fault?

Thanks.

October 22nd, 2015 06:00

Hi,

We checked and its about vplex behaviour. We have a vplex between vmax and servers.

details in: http://www.ndm.net/emcstore/pdf/vplex/h8005-array-based-replication-vplex-wp.pdf

Thanks all.

119 Posts

October 15th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

What you are doing should be OK.  Not sure why exact same steps work once, but not second time.  You can do it easier like below.  But first a couple notes.  No need to use -diff because it is not needed, will always be differential unless you specify otherwise (a long time ago -diff was required but not anymore).  And, please do not use -force unless for a specific reason.  It should not be needed for what you are doing.

So, try this:

symclone -sid XXX create -f asd.txt -precopy

Then instead of terminate, just recreate:

symclone -sid XXX recreate -f asd.txt -precopy

If the symclone commands are rejected then please send the command and output.

If the symclone commands work but Oracle does not show the expected results, I will try to find someone who can talk about the Oracle side.

Again, these steps and what you are doing should show the updated data on the clone, not sure what the problem is, hopefully we can figure it out.

Mike

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 15th, 2015 18:00

make sure ASM disk group is dismounted before you perform clone refresh. You want to make sure there everything is flushed out of memory and dismount does just that.

October 16th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

We are using IBM AIX 7.1 as DB server.

Refresh is successfully when I do this steps;

1. unpresent disk from server and delete disk definitions from server

rmdev -Rdl hdiskn

2. DBA is taking backup mode source side. (I do this steps always)

3. Refreshing in VMAX with these commands,

symclone -sid XXX recreate -f asd.txt -precopy

4. Present disks to server and DBA adding disks to ASM disk group. and DBA is ending backup mode. And dba can open database. We check the data and it is really refreshed. We can see new data in ASM.

My question in here, Can I do this without unpresent disks from server?

Thanks,

October 16th, 2015 05:00

We are dismounting diskgroup in ASM.

As I said in my reply, Can I do this action without unpresent disks from server?

Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 16th, 2015 06:00

should be able to, we do it daily with our Oracle DBs (Linux not AIX though but should not matter).

No Events found!