Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 24th, 2014 18:00

VMAX3 Question

Does rule 17 apply to VMAX3(similar to VMAX2)?

Thanks,

Rajiv.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thanks a lot for your help Sean.

My question is about VMAX400K, so VMAX400K with 8-Engine conforms to the rule 17 convention right.

One more question:

Do we have any VMAX3 document which demonstrates best practice zoning from VMAX3. I checked in EMC online support and Everything VMAX3 from inside EMC. https://inside.emc.com/docs/DOC-109875 . But i am not able find any information.

Thanks,

Rajiv.

226 Posts

Rajiv,

No, it does not.

The rule of 17 has really been more of a configuration convention, rather than a technical rule, since DMX -- but with VMAX3 the convention is dropped as well. Engines and Directors in VMAX3 begin at  Engine/Director #1 and count up from there. Even a 4-engine 200k would not be able to conform to the convention of 17, as it would have directors 1 through 8 -- so there are no director pairs that add up to 17.

The only VMAX3 array that could still follow this convention is an 8-engine 400k, which has directors 1 through 16.

Thanks,

- Sean

51 Posts

November 25th, 2014 05:00

Hello!

About rule 17, now you shouldn't follow for that, but I suppose it is just best behavior (not practices) I would say, because of new guy/or instead of you will understand your confifuration quicly, even in VMAX system you may zone/use dirs as you want, but as I know, almost all administartor try to follow for this rule.

You can find for VMAX2, I guess no any differences reagarding zoning you will have for 400k.

419 Posts

November 25th, 2014 07:00

Raj,

inside emc is an internal site not accessible so that link won't work for anyone who is not an EMC employee.  I wrote a paper on the V3 and have some high level discussion on the new port numbering and approach to zoning to new array architecture.  Note a new version of this paper will be published in the next few days to give a high level of the additional features coming in the Q4 release.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/technical-documentation/h13578-vmax3-family-new-features-wp.pdf

We’ve also published some papers on the SnapVX and FAST changes with the new SLO model.

Regards,

Paul Martin

Principal Corporate Systems Engineer

2 Attachments

No Events found!