Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2017 09:00

VMAX3 - SNMP configuration

I would like to configure our VMAX3 100K to send SNMP traps to our SolarWinds environment so I can receive alerts for important system events.  We use Unisphere for VMAX running on a Windows server for management.  I am a new VMAX3 administrator so I need some guidance.

I'd like to make sure  understand the communications flow.

If I understand the documentation correctly, after I configure the appropriate values in the daemon_options file on the Windows server where SE/Unisphere are installed and restart the storevntd daemon, the symm will send events to the storevntd daemon running on the Windows server and Unisphere will forward the traps to the SNMP management host defined in the SNMP_TRAP_CLIENT_REGISTRATION value.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

veloRAS

May 31st, 2017 04:00

Hi VR,

your understanding is correct, there a very useful document called VMAX-Management-Software-Events-and-Alerts-Guide which can be downloaded from https://support.emc.com/downloads/ which should help you a lot in this area.

Regards

Fin.

10 Posts

May 31st, 2017 06:00

Fin, thanks for your message.

A couple of other clarifications:

1. Is the storevntd:EVENT_LISTEN_PORT the port that the storevntd daemon listens on AND the destination port that the symm uses to send the events?
  2. If I use this: "storevntd:LOG_SYMMETRIX_EVENTS = sid-012345678901, srdf system,srdf link,srdfa session,srdf consistency group" I will get events from the sid listed and the four srdf categories specified (system, link, session, consistency group), yes?  Just wanting to verify the syntax.

June 2nd, 2017 02:00

Hi VR,

1. The storevntd:EVENT_LISTEN_PORT  is the IP port to use when listening for events being forwarded from remote hosts.  The  snmp_trap_client_registration provides a list of target IPs and ports to send SNMP traps to, when the log_event_targets option

specifies snmp.

2. yes that syntax looks fine, one slight correction it needs to be storevntd:log_symmetrix_events = sid=111111111111,

There is a useful technical note on this on support.com called Monitoring EMC® Symmetrix® Using the Solutions Enabler Event Daemon if you search for this it gives a lot fo good detail and examples.

Regards

Fin.

No Events found!