Start a Conversation

Unsolved

11 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 04:00

VMAX3 internal resource shortage

Hi,

There is an issue with VMAX3 when trying to allocate new thin volumes like this:

Starting Tasks...

Create Thin Volumes...

Operation failed due to a Symmetrix internal resource shortage. Please contact EMC Support

We have contacted EMC support and support says we should increase a cache threshold in order for this to work or delete old volumes present on the system.

Do any of you have any other clue how to make the box allocate and create new thin luns other than those?

We find it UNACCEPTABLE as we have 80TBs left on our system. a brand new VMAX3 100K.

Pool details:

S Y M M E T R I X   T H I N   P O O L S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pool         Flags  Dev               Total Usable       Free       Used Full Subs   Comp     Shared

Name         PTECSL Config              TBs        TBs        TBs        TBs  (%)  (%) Ratio        TBs

------------ ------ ------------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---- ---- ------ ----------

DG1_FBA10K   TFFDEI RAID-6(6+2)      425.40     425.40      80.57     344.84   81    0 1.0:1        N/A

DG2_FBA_F    TEFDEI RAID-5(7+1)       23.92      23.92       5.96      17.96   75    0 1.0:1        N/A

Total                            ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---- ---- ------ ----------

TBs 449.32     449.32      86.53     362.80   80    0  1.0:1        N/A

Does someone have any other solution in mind to maybe allocate more THIN volumes out of that free space?

Thanks in advance,

Adel

12 Posts

July 24th, 2018 03:00

hi Adel,

in short there is no other option that what has been suggested here, as in creating devices and deleting them. What is happening is that the array is carving up cache to create meta data space for your new device within cache. The meta data space is expanded in chunks and the expansion size is set in the binfile.

there is a KB article that calls this out if you haven't already seen it. https://support.emc.com/kb/482071

11 Posts

July 24th, 2018 04:00

Thanks for the answer Jimmy.

We have escalated this to EMC representatives and currently engineering is looking into this.

I have seen the KB you provided and helps with explanation but unfortunately EMC doesnt have a solution yet and engineering is looking into the matter.

It is sad that we have 86TB free space and cannot allocate more LUNs especially now when some migrations are taking place .

I will reply to this thread if EMC comes up with a solution.

Cheers,

Adel

1 Message

July 26th, 2019 09:00

Hello, 

We get the same error on the subject mentioned, is there any yet?

Error; When creating new volume

Errero; when expanding exist volume

No Events found!