Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2015 06:00

What is the advantage of having a FCIP router in SRDF/A replication.

AS in VMAX40k and VMAX3, the RA ports can be configured as Gigabit Ethernet for remote replication. Do I need to have a FCIP router in between or can I directly plug in this to my Nexus switch.

What is the advantage of having a FCIP router over direct connectivity.

July 16th, 2015 07:00

One of the main benefits is more flexibility in the number of RDF ports.  With the native Gige boards, you are installing in groups of 4, using FC ports, you can have whatever number is most appropriate for the workload.  The second benefit is a higher compression rate than with the native boards.  By offloading the compression and TCP encapsulation work to the network hardware, the FC port achieves a higher throughput than a Gige can.  Lastly, error recovery on less than optimal WAN circuits is handled far better by the network hardware than at the individual Gige port level.  The most solid SRDF replication design always use FCIP with RF fibre ports on a VMAX array. The cost difference usually is very small if any since a small Brocade 7800 isn't expensive and the FC IO modules are cheaper than the Gige modules. I would certainly look into the FCIP design first all the time.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2015 07:00

you would use FCIP if your RAs were traditional FC ports.

No Events found!