Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2011 07:00

What operations are permitted on a Symmetrix when the Config is Locked?

Hi,

EMC is going to be locking our symmetrix prior to an upgrade soon.  Lock time is 10 days. 

What operations are available to us?  Assuming we already have things zoned, masked, created, etc I am thinking Open Replicator should be available for use correct?

Just want to confirm with you all to see if there are any other operations that can be used during this lock period.

Thanks!

Brian

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 10:00

can't do any symconfigure commands, symmask should work.

June 22nd, 2011 11:00

EMC puts a lock on your Bin because before they make changes to your existing Bin, they confirm that the new Bin is a valid one and won't conflict with the existing state of the system.

The lock which EMC puts is Lock 15. As Dynamox said that symconfigure won't work as it accquires Lock 15. Hence any operation which doesn't lock the Bin file should be ok. For ex. Time Finder and SRDF should work.

I haven't worked on Open Replicator, but as far as I know, a symrcopy doesn't put a lock 15. So you should be good if you wan't to play Push/Pull

54 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 11:00

thanks everyone.  I kind of figured as much...  I am doing a big migration tomorrow while the box is config-locked w/ OR and I just wanted to be sure

Looks like I'll be good with Symmask too if I fat fingered a LunID or two.  Thanks for the quick answers.

859 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 12:00

Yes, you are right Deepak, OR does not put the config lock 15 for its operation. SRDF/TF do put a lock but thats a device lock

regards,

Saurabh

June 23rd, 2011 01:00

Sourabh, I came to COE B'lore a month back. Met Vivek Kanchan but couldn't meet you.

Anways See you around on ECN

859 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 08:00

Really? Vivek was in our team only. He left last week. Do let me know if you come again to COE.

regards,

Saurabh

October 18th, 2011 00:00

Hi Brian

I'm wondering whether you found out whether PPME OR worked when your BIN was locked down?

Our VMAX-2 is locked at present - about to become a VMAX-3 - and a PPME OR session from a windows host has failed with

PPME_OR error(512)

I'm wondering whether this is BIN file related - be interested to hear if anyone has used PPME in a lockdown.

thanks

John

No Events found!