Kavan2
3 Silver

not enough space in thin pool to preallocate = all

Hi I am trying to create some thin devices (have done this befoer a lot) . I am using preallocate size = ALL.

I have used the same command on different array and works fine.

But on this array it says " not enough space in the thin pool " I have checked the pool and its only used 37% and there is free space.

SE version : V7.3.0.1 (Edit Level : 1214).  I have tried it from different server and still teh same error.

Any help would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
dynamox
7 Thorium

Re: not enough space in thin pool to preallocate = all

does it work when you specify a number instead of ALL

0 Kudos
Kavan2
3 Silver

No, it was number and after checking few threds i changed it to ALL . Same issue.

0 Kudos
jk123451
2 Bronze

There is bug in the  symcli version you are using which is preventing you to do this operation. Try using SYMCLI V7.3.1.7 or higher.

Kavan2
3 Silver

Hi jk12345,

It has worked for another remote array, same command from same server.

I will try using SMC if it helps. Or else I will upgrade the SE any ways and then see.

I have EMC Live Chat on another window, looking into this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertDudley
3 Zinc

What is the subscription % on the pool and do you allow over-subscription?

0 Kudos
Kavan2
3 Silver

Robert , subscription was only 42.5%

0 Kudos
edlw
2 Bronze

try using a number for allocation but drop the number by 1 mb per member (if using a meta).  For example, if you have a 4 member meta with space of cap/mp of 34,856 when you bind to the pool, bind this as 34,852 mb.

0 Kudos
sracharla
3 Silver

Hi Kavan,

I faced a similar issue, I was unable to create new tdev's with preallocate=all when there is clearly enough space. Several of the tasks that I tried using preallocate=all were a bit flakey. However, I am able to create without preallocated and perform a start allocate after the create.

There was a known issue regarding this which was also documented in primus emc257440. The fix states that the issue i sfixed in SE7.2.1, unfortunately we still faced the problem in 7.3.1.

The support recommended to upgrade to v7.3.2. This issue is also addressed in the 7.3.2 release notes.

Kavan2
3 Silver

Hi Santosh,

As my request was urgent to created devs, i created them without binding to pool. I was able to successfully create them. Havin said that i was able to successfully create/bind/preallocate together 15GB devices. Only 10 x 240GB i was not able to bind/preallocate.  I created the 10 x 240GB devs without bind using SMC.

Then I was able to bind and fully preallocate all of them , no error.

I used SMC for above.

Having said that above all worked fine from same server to different array, i was able to create/bind/fully preallocate all 15GB and 240GB devices.  Strange...

I still have case open with EMC.

0 Kudos