Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2013 08:00

symmetrix peformance analyzer - 24hr data

Hi,

i am trying to look at vmax statistics for last 24 ours in SPA but its complaining no data [ no error msg but graph lines are empty ] i tried snapshot & trend  & diagnostics and real time as well . is there any setting needs to be changed to get this last 24 hours data ?

thanks in advance.

Raj

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 30th, 2013 14:00

is collection enabled for that array ?

115 Posts

March 30th, 2013 20:00

should be enabled  if i remember right i seen this 24hr period stats before but didn't remember exactly on which tab like snapshot or trend . also if its not enabled i can't even supposed to get the stats of 1w [ week ] or 1 month right

859 Posts

April 1st, 2013 01:00

if it was working earlier and stopped now, you can try restarting the SMAS service and storstpd daemon as a quick workaround.

regards,

Saurabh

14 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 08:00

I noticed you mentioned (SPA) have you upgraded to the latest and greatest Unisphere for VMAX with Performance Analyzer?  I found a lot of the bugs in the older releases of SMC/SPA have been corrected and it is so much faster then SPA was.  I also second what Saurabh metioned.. make sure storstpd is running inf not restart that along with smas.

115 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 16:00

Hi Saurabh / leif,

where to find that service status and how to restart it ?

thanks for your help.

Raj

859 Posts

April 4th, 2013 04:00

On Windows, you can find it in services.msc under name EMC Symmetrix Management Application Server and EMC Storstpd.

For Linux, you need to look at the SMAS installation guide.

regards,
Saurabh

115 Posts

April 4th, 2013 13:00

i tried, when i do smc server service is not coming up so i bounce the mgmt server ( server123)     then rightnow i am unable to open the SPA at all. we are getting the below msg.

Description: Critical database error occurred on host  server123    

Severity: CRITICAL     

State: NEW 

Managed Object: SPA    

Server Timestamp: Thu Apr 04 16:31:45 EDT 2013 

Alert ID: 000192604997-201304041631-S0   

Symmetrix: xxxxxxx

Application: SPA 

Error Code: 3200 

SMAS Server Name: server123     

SMAS Server Canonical Name: server123

76 Posts

April 4th, 2013 13:00

This is most commonly caused when an anti-virus program scans the SPA DB and prevents SPA from writing to it. If you're running anti-virus on the host, have you excluded the database folder from scans?

For SPA 2.x this is noted in the SPA Release Notes.

For Unisphere for VMAX this is noted in the Install Guide.

14 Posts

April 5th, 2013 12:00

Hey Pete2c I run my unisphere for vmax with (PA) on a linux hosts..   obviously anytime the server is rebooted or I need to stop the database I have to run the mysql script to shut/start the database for the performance piece on top of starting and stopping the smas process.  Is it the same on windows or is it considered one service?  If he is getting critical db errors I would also bounce the database after stopping smas then starting the DB and try starting smas.  We had so many issues with SMC/SPA I was so happy with the new release of unisphere for vmax.

14 Posts

January 17th, 2014 08:00

Hey Julien,

Is this a one time event or does it happen a lot?  I found that in my busier sites this occurs from time to time due to the ability of my Linux servers to keep up with the amount of data that is being collected and parsed through the database for Unisphere Performance Analyzer.

If this is a rare occurance I would not worry about it.  Turn off real time if you are not using it.  Also I suggest making sure you have the most recent upgrades to both solutions enabler and unisphere.  Make sure your memory is up to recommended requirements.  Also check your limitations on arrays and devices (10 arrays / 80,000 devices)  I think those numbers are correct but verify.  I found that I start hitting more bottle necks when we placed 8 arrays within one instance of Unisphere.  In some sites we are actually going to split the workload over two instances to help speed things up.

Thanks,

Leif

2 Posts

January 17th, 2014 08:00

Hello, i have the same error with the database

SPA has detected the following system alert(s):             

1 CRITICAL (NEW)          

Symmetrix: 000292603398         

Timestamp: Fri Jan 17 16:52:52 CET 2014             

SMAS Server Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  

Description: Critical database error occurred on host Chu01admvmax 

Severity: CRITICAL         

State: NEW       

Managed Object: SPA  

Server Timestamp: Fri Jan 17 16:52:52 CET 2014               

Alert ID: 000292603398-201401171652-S0           

Symmetrix: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Application: SPA             

Error Code: 3200             

SMAS Server Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

SMAS Server Canonical Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX 

I checked the antivirus and disabled it, but no differences.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Julien

859 Posts

January 17th, 2014 09:00

There can be other reasons for this problem.

1) May be the storstpd daemon is hung.

2) Database is not receiving the data.

restart of the storstpd daemon and smasdb service should take care of it. If not, contact emc support.

regards,

Saurabh

2 Posts

January 20th, 2014 01:00

Hello Leif,

It happens every 15-20 days. I'm not really worried about that, but i just wanted to know the reason of this errors.

I'm gonna check all the requirements, and my versions of SPA.

Many thanks for your help.

Julien

No Events found!