Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2012 11:00

Avamar 6.1 VMWARE file level restore for Linux

I can restore file level and image level for Windows OS VM servers , but on LINUX VM(rhel6_64Guest) and using  I can restore image level but can not restore the file level ,

I am getting following message when I click on file level button

Failed to mount volumes,Verify that all the disks on the VM have valid/supported partitions.

121 Posts

July 13th, 2012 11:00

I've moved this discussion out of the "Events" folder up to the man level of the Community to increase its visibility.

-Dave, Community Manager, Everything VMware at EMC

July 13th, 2012 11:00

Got any solution..??

7 Posts

July 18th, 2012 06:00

Which partitioning scheme and which filesystem are we talking? MBR and LVM should work, not sure about GPT. Supported filesystems include ext2,3,4, JFS, XFS and Reiser3 IIRC.

You definitely cannot do single file restore on filesystems that were created directly on a block device (like "mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb"). The VMware API does not support this.

If you have a supported paritioning scheme and filesystem and upgraded from 6.0, there might be another gotcha. First you have to make sure you re-deployed all proxy VMs. If you used Windows FLR with 6.0 with axionfs on the utility node and a Windows proxy VM, you have to make sure this mechanism was completely uninstalled during the upgrade. If parts of this old mechanism are still there, the same error message might appear (and be completely misleading). In that case, I would open a SR.

Regards,

Thorsten

4 Posts

July 18th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Thorsten,

Here are details of linux VM server.

file system is ext3,

PV Name /dev/sda2

It was upgraded from 6.0, this is new installation on Avamar 6.1

7 Posts

July 18th, 2012 09:00

siya wrote:

file system is ext3,

PV Name /dev/sda2

ext3 is supported filesystem, I restored from there several times. PV means LVM and though I never tried it, it should be supported.

siya wrote:

It was upgraded from 6.0, this is new installation on Avamar 6.1

There is a 'not' missing somewhere . I've tested with a new installation and it just worked out of the box.

It is probably best you open a SR at that point. Sorry I cannot help further.

Regards,

Thorsten

May 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi

I have newly installed Avamar Gen4 Multinode Servers. When I trying to do FLR of a windows file it gives me following error " failed to determine the partition type. Verify that all the disks on the VM have valid/supported partitions". I tried another some of the VM to do FLR, it works but right now I have seen this issue for one of the VM. I also created the SR for the same, but EMC Live chat provide me the Avamar VMWare Administrator Guide. I have gone through step by step, but it won't works. Please help me.

No Events found!