Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2012 11:00

Call an Avamar backup job from Powershell

Does anybody know if it is possible to start an avamar backup job from a powershell script?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 21st, 2012 00:00

A BRS Design Center expert shared his knowledge with us:  Avamar backup can be executed on the client from command line.  If powershell script has the ability to call Avamar executables on the client, then it should work. Can you tell us more about why you need this functionality, then we can provide more guidance? Thank you.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2012 10:00

I would like to be able to call the backup job from SQL Server when my native backups are completed.  That way I always ensure that the backups are done before the Avamar job starts.  There are reasons why we chose not to use the SQL Plugin for Avamar.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 26th, 2012 23:00

We have consulted Avamar expert about your question, and the feedback we received is: You can use Powershell to call Avamar and perform cold, flat-file backups of database and log dumps from the local clients disk. Please keep in mind that Restore operations will also have to be scripted, and, these backups will not be visible at this time in the Avamar GUI although you can run reports that will display all backup and restore activity.

Avamar CLI support with the SQL plugin is targeted for 6.1, that CLI support may provide options you can leverage to go beyond what you are doing today. Even though you don't use it, you may want to give it a look at that time.

No Events found!