Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2013 04:00

EMC Symmetrix Adapter for vCops

Hi,

I am running vCenter Operations Manager and would like to have all the VMAX storage info too.

Reading the manual, I realized that Solutions Enabler must be configured to do that. Here is where my question popped up. Do I have to install SE on the same VM as the one where vCops is installed?

I ask this because I have already SE installed on a different VM and it had better avoid having it twice on the system.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 16th, 2013 06:00

No you don't. I am assuming that you have the vApp version of vCOPS installed. If that is the case, you share the STP directory on the server where you have Solutions Enabler installed. Since the vApp version of vCOPS doesn't support mounting CIFS shares, make sure that you are sharing via NFS.

Now, mount the shared directory on the analytics VM and enter the directory under "EMC Symmetrix Main Input Folder" when adding the adapter instance. That should get you all set up.

If you need some more info, also check out the blog post I wrote on it here:  Setting up the EMC Symmetrix adapter on the vCenter Operations Manager 5 vApp | BasRaayman's technical diatribe

Hope that helps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

No they didn't. This version of the adapter was actually created by Integrien, and as far as I'm aware there is no newer version of that specific adapter that will be released.

What we have right now is something called EMC Storage Analytics for VNX, which is an OEM version of vCOPS (only the custom view is available by default) and a VNX adapter that you use to connect to the VNX. With a corresponding vCOPS license, you can just use your existing vCOPS installation, and install the adapter there (you still need the Storage Analytics licenses from EMC).

Now, what I believe you are referring to is a VMAX version of our EMC Storage Analytics, which isn't available right now. But who knows what the near future might bring..

15 Posts

Yes, I am using the vApp version.

It seems that they did not think about these situations when they made it...

There is a new version of the adapter coming up soon and I think this problem will be fixed...

Thank you very much

15 Posts

April 16th, 2013 07:00

Just heard rumors that there will be a new version of the Symmetrix adapter soon...

Yes, I know ESA and I am using it and it would be really nice to have a version of ESA for VMAX too... maybe after EMC world?

No Events found!