Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2016 07:00

FEHC appliance backup?

Hello!

I haven't been able to find this on EMC or Google and I was hoping someone could shed some light on FEHC 3.1/3.5.

There is something within FEHC called Backup as a Service (BaaS) and my understanding is that will back up VMs that are created by the tenants.  One thing that appears missing is 'what do we do in terms of backup with the various appliances/servers that make up FEHC?'  Said differently, what are the recommendations for backing up the management platform?

For example, if the vRealize Automation IaaS server goes down, what's the procedure to restore it?  Further, what if EMC ViPR virtual appliance goes down - what is the process to recover it?

I'm wondering if there's any guidance around backing up the Management platform (not the tenant VMs).  Thanks!

123 Posts

March 29th, 2016 13:00

There is a significant library of documents on the hybrid cloud solution which can be found here and should be able to answer your questions:  https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-34950

4 Posts

March 29th, 2016 14:00

Yes I've seen that - I'm having trouble determining which ones relate to my question.  The Data Protection and Continuous Availability section all appear to be around tenant VMs, not the management ones.  Any direction would be appreciated!

4 Posts

April 1st, 2016 06:00

Thank you Alex for the clarification.  Does EMC provide a central list of the 'backup recommendations for the individual products included in EHC'?

Or do I have to dig manually, find one product document, rinse, lather, and repeat for the all the other products?

2 Posts

April 1st, 2016 06:00

There is currently no complete set of documentation detailing how to backup (and restore) and entire EHC installation. Developing that is in our backlog of work we would like to do.

Meanwhile please refer to the backup recommendations for the individual products included in EHC.

Thanks, Alex

2 Posts

April 4th, 2016 12:00

The first thing we are planning to do when addressing how to backup a deployed FEHC instance is to go through an collect/review the recommendations of the 40+ products (potentially) included in an FEHC release. As you say - rinse, lather, and repeat ;-).

Unfortunately due to resource constraints that work hasn't started yet as I mentioned above. If/when you (or anyone else) does some of that we would appreciate copies of what you have done as that will accelerate our work.

The requirement to do this is currently #5 on the backlog for the release after Abrams (Q3CY16). That may change as the backlog evolves but it is that high as we do view this as a significant gap.

No Events found!