Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2011 00:00

HOWTO install and configure Hyperic, vCOps, EMC Celerra VSA and EMC Unified NAS powershell scripts

See latest post on vCOps direct integration with EMC via the HTTPOST powershell scripts.  https://community.emc.com/message/568368

This document is meant to be a HOWTO/Jumpstart reference guide in order to walk through the installation and configuration with an end goal of having EMC Unified NAS statistics displayed within VMware vCOps and Hyperic.  In order to accomplish this we will focus on the VMware software components and also include brief instructions for configuring an EMC virtual storage appliance which serves as the NFS target and is the device that we will be monitoring.  These processes will work only for EMC Unified NAS devices virtual or physical.

The work here was done for the VMware Hands On Labs of 2011 to monitor the VNX arrays, see the screenshots in the end of the attached document.

Under the covers there are many different technologies in use to make this a reality.  From a scripting perspective we are working with Groovy (in Hyperic plugins), Visual Basic (wraps Powershell commands from Groovy), and Powershell (talks to storage arrays or any device).  Upon first glance it may seem a bit complex, however read on..

There are two high level goals for this effort. 

• Monitor EMC technology (but not limited to;  can be VMware as well)
  • Dynamically add objects from a monitored device

Updated 09/27/11 - fixed vbs plugin for intermittent pause and updated document (Hollis)

3 Attachments

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 08:00

It looks like the Hyperic Adapter is not available for download alongside the demo. In addition, vCenter Operations Manager is now a Linux OVA which I assume changes the whole process for installing the Hyperic adapter.

Do you know if it will still be possible to test this given the recent updates to Hyperic and platform change to vCenter Operations Manager?

Thanks again,

Jason

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 10:00

I've got the same question as Jason.

September 24th, 2011 16:00

All,

vCOps Standad is available as a Linux appliance and Enterprise is available as a installables for Windows.  From a product perspective, importing data through adapters requires the Enterprise version which is what this demo was built upon.  From the VMware page you should be able to go to the download link for vCOps in the document provided instead of "Free Trial" (which is for Std ver).  If you don't have access to download, please contact a VMware rep to work out demoing the Enterprise edition.  The hyperic adapter would be available through the same resources.  Without vCOPs, you can still monitor EMC storage with Hyperic.

Hyperic is now at 4.6 instead of 4.5.2 as listed in the document.  This version is not materially different for our purposes and the procedures will work the same.  If you are leveraging custom plugins on external agent platforms (distributed monitoring via agents), the plugins are now distributed out to agents automatically.

For those internal to VMware/EMC I do have a directory with all of the files conveniently in one place that I can send.  Sorry I can't post this publicly to make things easier!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2011 12:00

Clinton -- I'm internal -- would you mind emailing me the directory, please?

Thanks!

D

No Events found!