Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2014 11:00

Help with DR setup for VMware 5.5 environment

Hello,

We are looking to setup a primary site where we will have 4-5 VMWare hypervisors utilizing a VNX5400. We would like to have the VMs LUN/s replicate to an offsite DR running the same hardware as described above. Setup would be HOT/COLD, where we would fully cut over all of the VMs from the PRIMARY SITE to the DR SITE.

We currently have purchased the following software:

For Hypervisor enviroment:

VMWare vSphere Std with Operation Manager

Storage Array:

VNXB OE PER TB PERFORMANCE

VNX522 Unisphere Block Suite

VNX5200 FAST Suite

VNX5200 Local Protection Suite

VNX5200 Remote Protection Suite

Questions we have are:

Does the software described above allow us the ability we are looking for?

Any input would really appreciated.

Thanks

joe

26 Posts

February 18th, 2015 13:00

echolaughmk wrote:

Yes, ideally. That was what I was trying to get at above. It can share it, but for performance and scalability it would be ideal to isolate it if you can on both the VNX side as well as the virtual side when you create the virtual networks.

Little light bulb over my head lit up when I read your last breakdown. I really appreciate the help.

On the VNX unit, I will have to setup another iSCSI interface just for the vRPA connections? If so, would that require 2 interfaces since i see that vrpa setup is asking for two iSCSI networks?

26 Posts

February 28th, 2015 23:00

here's a quick update.

I have both vRPAs deployed per site and configured according to install details. However, I am seeing the following error when trying to connect one cluster to the other.

Fetching remote certificate

Internal error. Failed getting remote certificate: Socket is closed

I confirmed that i can ping both WAN IPs from both sites, and vice verse.

Any advice or directions will be truly appreciated.

March 1st, 2015 00:00

Looks like you have progressed pretty well to this point.

Have you opened up the required firewall ports between the two sites as per the security guide ?

There's numerous ports required for both tcp and udp, so you may find it easier to open up all ports between the RPA's at either side of the WAN, but this will depend on your policy.

1 Attachment

26 Posts

March 1st, 2015 12:00

Would it be possible to provide the security guide?

Thanks

March 1st, 2015 13:00

26 Posts

March 1st, 2015 15:00

Brett@S wrote:

It's attached to my last post, and linked below;

https://support.emc.com/docu54073_RecoverPoint_4.1_Security_Configuration_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Sorry about that, I didn't notice the attachment since I replied via my phone. I'll definitely take a look at this and hopefully resolve this issue. Once again, thanks for all the help.

26 Posts

March 1st, 2015 18:00

just for a sanity check.

I have deployed 2 vRPA at each site. I tried to use the GUI deployment manager but would get some errors. Not sure if I was typing in something wrong or what, however I decided to do the setup via ssh to each vRPA. I was able to configure both vRPAs with appropriate networks and connectivity to the SAN at each site.

Now just to make sure, those two vRPAs are now a cluster on each site correct? If so, the next step would be to connect site A cluster to site B via WAN connection correct?

I was looking over the security config guide but could not find any more information on network requirements such as layer 2 vs layer 3 . We are using  xVLAN for the WAN network, but not sure if this is what might be the issue.

1 Message

February 26th, 2016 07:00

Hi Joe,

Can you please tell me,how you have solved below issue.

Fetching remote certificate

Internal error. Failed getting remote certificate: Socket is closed

No Events found!