Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 01:00

Is vCOps sufficient for Event Management?

Is vCops a sufficient solution on its own for Event Management for VMware environments or is it purely for performance monitoring?

61 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 08:00

I'd argue no, its not.  Its a great product, but its focus is on Analytics and performance.

If you want good analytics, event monitoring, etc, the EMC Smarts line can do some really good things, and feed the perf data up to vCops for analysis.

12 Posts

July 4th, 2012 20:00

I second Matt, my colleague from across the globe.  vCenter Operations is awesome.  A simply amazing product.  But at its core it manages performance and capacity analytics.  It can correlate events to performance or capacity changes.  But it lacks a robust view of infrastructure events to manage.  The EMC Smarts line is awesome for this.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 5th, 2012 01:00

Thanks for your comments.

Would there be a certain amount of duplication of alerting if going with Smarts for event management and vCOps for perf and cap analysis? When you guys mention the Smarts line I'm assuming you are talking about the ESM module?

Even on a budget point of view, paying out for both Smarts and vCOps........

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 13th, 2012 07:00

Budget issues aside, vCOps and SMARTS are really complementary products.  SMARTS already has a northbound and southbound adapter for vCOps, so the integration work is already done.  In addition, vCOps needs a source for metrics and SMARTS is an excellent one for that.  Regarding your question about ESM, the entire SMARTS group of modules can be feed into vCOps, you aren't limited to just ESM.

No Events found!